Hey VM...
My only comment would be to get those tapes copied as soon as you can. Copy to WAV or FLAC. Then it would be up to you to store them "correctly" whatever that my be.. or put them up on ebay. I have had the worst luck with cassette tapes, mechanically mostly, but tape stretch has been an issue at times. As to the 45's I guess everyone knows that the picture sleeves are at times more valuable then the actual 45 itself, and paper is much harder to preserve than vinyl. So I would get them scanned at the highese res possible.

Can't comment much on the cataloging though, I do have some recordings that the 45 version is interesting and just have them and another entry under the artist as a 2 track album.

I have gotten rid of all my vinyl about 5 years ago. The albums that I couldn't find CD's for I converted to digital, and some of the covers I scanned. Right now old vinyl is popular so you might want to take advantage of that. It is really nice to have all of my music 6,000+ albums available at the click of a mouse. And all that physical storage that they occupied empty for other things.

In the end there is no right or wrong way.. I don't really see the need of separate database, OCD seems to handle large collections easily.

Fred

I certainly know the polarization of vinyl vs digital, but for my listening environment and hearing 320kbps cbr mp3's are more than adequate. Although I do have FLAC versions of my core favorites.