Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12,000 and counting...

Default 12,000 and counting...

Hey, all. It's been a while, but I'm up to 12,000 entries and I continue to add on. I'll tell you...it's been interesting, trying out different things, and learning about the different features of OrangeCD...And recent backups of my databases are a good thing! It'd be a shame to lose what I worked so hard for. It's surprising how many small items add up (and I've barely touched the 7-inch vinyl!). If I had my druthers, though, I wish I could easily copy a database entry, and transfer all of my information within the entry into a separate database, with a couple clicks. Some items and artists are harder to categorize, so I keep two separate listings for the same item in different databases. For instance, if I have a database for swing music, and a database for rock, and I have an artist who's part swing, part rock n' roll, I'll keep the same listing in each database, for easy reference. I wish I could just copy one entry, and transfer it into a second database easier. I just search for the same item again, but it feels as if I'm doing twice the work, but I'll do it, until something changes. There should be an "add entry from separate database" tab on a drop-down menu somewhere. Or a "copy entry" and "paste entry" when I right-click over it, and everything would get transferred when I pasted the entry into the second database...It's a thought, anyway.

But, I rant. I have found that the more I use OrangeCD, the more things I learn along the way. Have you guys found any interesting discoveries, from poking around and trial and error, that have helped make things easier? Have any of you had an "I didn't know I could do that!" moment?
    Last edited by vinylmaster; 01-10-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Not sure if I understood clearly what you're asking for... but I copy some items from a database to another using

Database -> Manage Database -> Import
    then OCD shows the explorer dialog to browse and select the database OCD file, then you go next and select the radiobutton "Selected albums", so you can select a single or multiple entries and then you go ahead and confirm, so your antries are copied from a DB to the other one

I'd be curious to know if anyone else inputs as much information as I do when I enter a new album. I like details so I put all of the recording info (producers, engineers, mixing, etc.) along with all of the musicians involved and recording studio stuff as well. I would assume that those that buy a catalog software program would put at least some of this information in anyway, I'm just curious how many are as type A as I am!

Quote Originally Posted by pmckeealaska View Post
    I'd be curious to know if anyone else inputs as much information as I do when I enter a new album. I like details so I put all of the recording info (producers, engineers, mixing, etc.) along with all of the musicians involved and recording studio stuff as well. I would assume that those that buy a catalog software program would put at least some of this information in anyway, I'm just curious how many are as type A as I am!
    I don't enter the technical details you mention but usually put in as many contributing artists as possible, such as soloists in jazz or opera, orchestra, choir etc. I have a lot of classical songs with piano accompaniment and have added a custom tab "accompanist".
    I am quite keen to get the genre right and sometimes have difficulty entering this accurately because many classical discs contain tracks of several genres. It is quite possible for a chamber music disc to contain, for example, a piano trio, a string quintet and a violin sonata. You can only enter the genre for the whole disc not separate tracks.

Having a built-in 'track genre' field would be the ideal answer. But failing that, I have created a custom track field for this...

All I can say to 12,000 is an incredible WOW!! I'm just over 3,000 (data entry goes on) and it has much time + money involved. A collection like yours is worth more than most peoples homes! So, what size room do you have all these albums in? It sounds, pun intended , as though you'd need a garage. I've been ripping all mine to a NAS device and can't wait to have instant track access anywhere (acts as a cloud drive) and anytime! A dream come true for me.

I do not enter too many technical details, just the basics... at least not yet anyway. Anyone out there in the MI, USA area interested in sharing/combining music collections to save a little money?

Hey, all...Yes, I know about the Manage Database>Import function, and for those of you who haven't discovered it yet, that's a nice feature for transferring listings between databases. It has saved me a lot of time ,for sure. My issue, if you can call it that, was that there should be a more streamlined process for doing this, but I digress. Anyway, yes, I do need a garage. Everything is on heavy duty shelving, contained in specially marked boxes, but I do sometimes wish I had a garage for them. But the nice thing is, you can always build UP, even if you have a smaller space. Recently, I've even found a way to catalog 300 pieces of sheet music, too. As you can customize the database, I can add photos of the sheet music, the year published, and on a separate page, the publishers, writers and composers. One thing I've found that makes it easy is to catalog in spurts. One day, I'll work on the 70's jazz albums. Next day, I'll work on the sheet music. Then, the 12" dance singles. If I focus on a format and genre, say, and break up the work into smaller parts, I tend to accomplish more. But, the data entry goes on...

Pretty Good program I'm at 10,620 I found A Few bugs the biggest one when I scan a wave file it sometimes won't put in all of the track lengths, I put in basic info, tracks,Lengths,year,artwork and notes if I have I have any overall it works pretty good

The problem is most likely with the tags in the wav file itself. The wav tagging standard is not as thorough as that for mp3 or flac (or most anything else) and seems to have been inconsistently applied in any case (or not applied at all). And if the file has been tagged by one of the inconsistent programs (foobar2000, for example), OCD won't be able to read the data correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by dilute50 View Post
    Pretty Good program I'm at 10,620 I found A Few bugs the biggest one when I scan a wave file it sometimes won't put in all of the track lengths, I put in basic info, tracks,Lengths,year,artwork and notes if I have I have any overall it works pretty good

Thumbs up Too many Details

Quote Originally Posted by pmckeealaska View Post
    I admire you in many ways, but decided not to spend all that time on the catalogue but do some LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. With classical music I maintain that you can't do two things at once if you want to really get to love this wonderful music.Having said that i have just lost a whole database called "New Boxes"..about 600 items, because I did not do a backup. It's called learning the hard way....back to the "new boxes"