Thread: Backup

Default Backup

To make a long story short, the software and program work fine. I have a collection of about 5,000 records, and have about 800 in the database. I have been creating a backup. For some reason the backup file extension is called .obk and Vista doesn't recognize the program. I am concerned that if I ever have to use the backup that it will fail.

Any suggestions?

John

Quote Originally Posted by j_castellano@comcast.net View Post
    To make a long story short, the software and program work fine. I have a collection of about 5,000 records, and have about 800 in the database. I have been creating a backup. For some reason the backup file extension is called .obk and Vista doesn't recognize the program. I am concerned that if I ever have to use the backup that it will fail.

Any suggestions?

John
    If you open the database, then pull down under file to "restore from backup," you should be able to restore. The .obk will be recognized as a backup file then.

In order for a Windows operating system to "recognize" a file type, someone (usually an application developer) must add data to a database called the registry. This data tells Explorer (and other programs) what application handles file of that type. When you click on the file, it can launch that application. "Unrecognized" file extensions are simply extensions for which this has not been done; if you click on the file, the operating system doesn't know what to do and will tell you that. It doesn't mean the file is corrupt or unusable.

Just follow bquam's instructions and you'll be able to restore if you need to.

OrangeCD's databases have a .DAB extension. If you want to test restoration you can rename the file to another extension (be sure you remember which one it was to you can rename it back again). Then make a new database ('Database/New Database') and restore to it ('Database/Restore from backup...') and follow the prompts. If you're not sure where your database is located, choose 'Database/Manage database/Properties' and click on the 'Details' tab. The Folder Path is the directory, and the Name is the name of the database.