Thread: More numbering options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Now that's how you make a request ;O)

It all makes sense, and I think that if implemented the automatic part should have a button to turn iton or off.

I guess that if you already have a boxes full of albums already sorted like you want and are entering them by box into OCD that auto numbering would be fine. But my approach when first entering my collection.. was grab a stack and start entering them and worry about organizing them later.

How do you handle adding newly aquired albums into your boxes? Say you just bought 5 Allman Brothers albums at a garage sale.. you aren't just addeding them to the last box that has room are you? Wouldn't they go in the first box with the A's.. moving the last five albums to box 2.. and the last five albums in box 2 to box 3.. etc? That is what I do, but I don't use boxes.. I have them on a shelfs so it isn't a problem until the shelf fills up.

So I can see you point where you are initially entering you already sorted collection into OCD.. but not for ongoing maintenance.. so have the option switchable would be handy.

I am curious to see what Andrei thinks about this...

Fred

Hey, Fred. I've been adding the albums as I go along, too...I've been grabbing a stack, and I just keep going. Eventually though, it'll be like that scene in "High Fidelity" where John Cusack's character does his Great Record Reorganization. Very anal on my part, but as The Byrds say, "I'll feel a whole lot better" when it's done!!!

Right now, I'm going over my entire collection. Cataloguing everything!!! then, I have a decent supply of boxes...granted, I'm starting with albums I don't listen to as much...those will be stored away...then, on to the stuff in regular rotation that get shelf space...next, each box will represent a general genre...metal, rock/pop, classical, country, jazz, r & b/soul, soundtracks, compilation albums, etc., etc....maybe a specialty box for things like disco singles, K-Tel albums, or Beatles and Beatles-related stuff...I may have more than 1 box per genre, as I might have 5 boxes worth of classic rock, and 1 (if I'm lucky) for reggae (again, those garage sale finds are hard for me to pass up, too!!!;o)).

After the genre separation (which is harder for some artists who don't fit into a genre...Would "Satan Is Real" by The Louvin Brothers fit into a country box, gospel box, or is it more "novelty" for the cover art? Would an album of Beatles songs by country artists be more country, Beatles-related, or is that like a compilation album? Some stuff is tricky as I don't know whether to label them "instrumental", "jazz", or "new age"...), then each box will be filed alphabetically, as that is easier for me, at least for the albums, and a lot of times, when I'm looking for a certain mood, I like to play similar songs in the same genres, and don't like hunting for music.

The thing is, and this is tricky, is that I have to leave a little room for (like you said) new acquisitions, or at least, albums I haven't catalogued yet. Yeah, if I fill up these boxes, I'll have to move everything over. I have most of the items that have been on my want list (of course, I don't rule out a few additions on occasion). It's all such a work in progress, but I'm confident that with OrangeCD, everything will be easy to find in no time. That Location box is a lifesaver. No more wondering if I have a double copy of an album anymore when I can just look it up in the database, and find it in an instant!!!

As you said, with new acquisitions, it's always a problem of ongoing maintenance, and having to renumber everything, but a switchable on/off function would be a pretty cool idea. I'm curious as to what Andrei thinks about this, too...if it's not too much to ask;o)
    Last edited by vinylmaster; 05-23-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Wow... ;O)

Well if it were me starting off today.. I think I would just start entering them as I grab them... Put them into the next available slot in the current box... record that spot in OCD and then just rely on OCD to tell me where a particular LP is when I want it. It may be a pain to have to boot up the PC to find an album but it would require the least amount of thought about storage....

At least that would get the collection in the system. You could then organize the boxes later if you see a need.

Fred

Oh, I'm adding them as I go...to start. All the other stuff will come in stages later. Wait till I catalogue the 45's and CD's...I've got another set-up for that!!! I guess some of us are crazier than others (of course, speaking personally here LOL...)!!!

I'm up to 3,000 and still going. I'm numbering everything manually, but I'm still wondering if Andrei has any thoughts on this...

I'll keep going, but it would be interesting to see some of the recommendations here implemented in some form down the line...Judging from the recent posts, there are a lot of good ideas out there, and much enthusiasm for the product...