Thread: How can I add a new list?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lists come in a variety of forms in the default version of OCD:

1. Lists with fixed values where the user cannot type in a different value, but which can be edited in preferences -> database. I.e., Category on the general tab of album properties

2. Lists where the user CAN type in a new value, and this value is added to the drop down list. Names of band members on the Musicians tab, for example.

3. Lists with fixed values where the user can enter a new value, but the new value is not added to the drop down list although the list can be edited in preferences -> database. Format is an example of this.

4. Lists where the user can type in a new value, but this new value is not added to the drop down list AND the list cannot be edited in preferences. Roles on the Musicians tab is the most notorious example of this.

It is not clear to me why all lists don't function the same way. In particular, it is not at all clear to me why the Roles list limited when it should behave like either type 2 or type 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    Lists come in a variety of forms in the default version of OCD:

1. Lists with fixed values where the user cannot type in a different value, but which can be edited in preferences -> database. I.e., Category on the general tab of album properties

2. Lists where the user CAN type in a new value, and this value is added to the drop down list. Names of band members on the Musicians tab, for example.

3. Lists with fixed values where the user can enter a new value, but the new value is not added to the drop down list although the list can be edited in preferences -> database. Format is an example of this.

4. Lists where the user can type in a new value, but this new value is not added to the drop down list AND the list cannot be edited in preferences. Roles on the Musicians tab is the most notorious example of this.

It is not clear to me why all lists don't function the same way. In particular, it is not at all clear to me why the Roles list limited when it should behave like either type 2 or type 3.
    I'd like to add my vote that lists work consistently, and I would choose first (2) from the choices above and then (1). Lists of type (2) seem to be self-maintaining in the sense that entries not used anywhere disappear from them, which prohibits the accumulation of useless typos; once you find 'em (using the Search capability) and fix 'em they disappear. Lists of type (4) are quite frustrating.