OrangeCD doesn't see CD in drive (WAS: Lack of support)
I'm feeling rather peeved with OrangeCD and their lack of support.
Logged a bug report back on June 27th about the application no longer recognising CDs in the drive - no reponse whatsoever apart from an automated "thank you". Is it normally like this?
Anybody else having problems where the application no longer works?
I put a CD in the drive but OrangeCD says there's no CD there, but the eject button works from within the application.
I haven't seen any comment here with a problem similar to yours.
First can you post more info... operating system.. hardware... are the cds that you are using originals or copies? Will they play using media player?...
What version of OCD are you running... if not the latest then try downloading and installing the latest version.
As far as support goes.. it can be spotty... at times you will get a response the same day.. other times... well never.. unless you keep bumping your post ever couple of days. And it seems that you have joined us at one of the "quiet" times, but hang in there it will get better.. we can only hope that Andrei is Soooo busy woking on new things for us..
I agree that it would be nice for Andrei to post something ever few days... or send out a short news letter every month or so just to let us know that he is still alive ;O) and working on new things for us.
Last edited by frederf; 07-21-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Thanks for the response!
Dell Studio 1537 (Intel P8400) running Vista SP2
DVD drive = some sort of generic device, described as "HL-DT ST-DVD GA10N ATA device"
The CDs are all originals. When I first installed it it was working fine - I catalogued 224 CDs. But now when I start up OrangeCD and try Query - Find CD by scanning, it just says Please insert Audio CD to continue. If I try Album-Scan CD it says there's no CD in the drive, but the eject function works for the CD that's in there.
Other applications such as Media player have no problems recognising the same CD.
I can't remember the original version I downloaded (and paid for) a couple of months ago, but I've tried uninstalling that and installing the latest version 6.4.2 Build 14920, but it still don't work. I bought Orange CD because I liked it, but at this rate I might have to get something else.
That's so strange...
I hope Andrei can help you with this, but I don't see any other post reporting the problem you have. I can't think of anything else resonable to try...
Have you tried to start with a new database? Don't delete your old one, just select database close, then database new and try adding one of your problem cd's. You shouldn't have to, but I'd bet Andrei would be curious of that made a difference. If you current database is somehow corrupt that may be the cause, but don't know.
I tried setting up a new database, but that didn't make any difference.
"Upgrading" to Windows 7 didn't make any difference either.
However, I tried using an external CD drive and that works, so the problem's linked to the hardware/driver of the CD drive in the laptop itself. I don't think that any drivers have been changed recently, but that might be the most likely cause. Trouble is, I can't find any other drivers than the ones that are installed already.
Well I was going to say that it was probably a hardware problem, but I don't know why it would only be a problem with OrangeCD. I don't even know how Andrei would be able to troubleshoot that without haveing access to the drive. But I would think that he would be interested in knowing why only his program is have problems reading from it.
Originally Posted by Sjlamb
I don't want to set you back, but this kind of problem is extremely hard to diagnose. I've seen it only a couple of times in past few years and there was never a solution. The problem is either bad hardware (less likely) or a bug in CD-ROM driver (more likely.)
Please note that OrangeCD uses standard API for accessing the drive, so whatever goes on with the drive when the problem occurs, it's pretty much out of our control. Other applications probably use other APIs so they work.
Here's couple of generic suggestions:
- try rebooting the machine and see if it helps. I'm especially suspicious of the fact that it worked at first, then stopped working at some point. This is an indication that problem is not in OrangeCD, but somewhere else.
- try exiting any programs you don't need, especially those that may use CD-ROM drive.
- make sure you have all system updates installed.
I'll research the problem hoping for some more clues, and post here if I find anything.