Thread: Help for a newcomer

Red face Help for a newcomer

Still getting to grips with Orange. I have a collection of 5000 CDs mostly classical material, and an out-of-date catalogue which I have painstakingly made up over the years, using Excel. I want to up-date using Orange database.
    How can i use it to input A) a catalogue number ie the number i have already put on the CD case so that i can find it. EG. When i turn to album view of title I can see this catalogue number, or, in Record properties box
    B) i would like the composer to be surname first, then Christian name. Can this be done?
    c) Can i get rid of a lot of tabs i don't want...such as Credits, Recording, Notes.
    I have found Album view and have started my catalogue - using a barcode scanner when i can - but, be warned, i had put small labels on back of jewel cases originally, and the scanner can't always read the code clearly. AAH!
    Last edited by Basilmusic; 05-15-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Well I don't collect classical but I know there are many things to track with classical albums.

In the Preferences dialog box there is a Data Entry Tab and you can choose between general layout or classical layout... I have no idea if that will be of any help to you but check it out.

On the Database tab is where you can set up custom fields (text, checkbox, memo, and date fields) there are 10 of each that you can use. Then in the theme tab you can select them to show in the different views. There you can also turn off some fields that you don't want.

On the record properties dialog I use the location field on the Library tab to put the DVD that I have my files backed up on. On the general tab there is also a field called number that you may be able to use.

Any of the fields on the database can be used in a search.

I think that the names can be entered as firstname lastname or lastname, firstname.

I don't think you can "get rid" of any of the tabs... but I don't see any reason to... they are there if you need them, but you don't need to use them if you don't.

Hopefully someone will give you more help than me... Better examples of exactly what you want to do would be helpful though.

fred

I too have a large classical collection.

A) a catalogue number ie the number i have already put on the CD case so that i can find it. EG. When i turn to album view of title I can see this catalogue number, or, in Record properties box
    On the "library" tab there is a "reference #" that is automatically generated by OCD based on when you entered the recording. By clicking the arrow directly to the right of this number you can enter a custom number. Alternatively, to the right of this entry on the same tab is an entry for "location". You could enter your catalogue number here as well. Both can be displayed in the "Album Page" view. You can customize the "Album Page" by right clicking on the page and selecting, well, "Customize View".

B) i would like the composer to be surname first, then Christian name. Can this be done?
    You can enter the composer's name any way you like, but you must click the arrow to the right of the entry to determine how the name will be filed. How you enter the name is the way it will appear on your album views. How you file the name is how OCD will locate the composer and order your tables if you choose to order them, as I do, by composer. I prefer to see the composer's name normally in album view but, of course, I file it with surname first. In table view you are able to choose which catagories you want to see and "Composer" and "Composer (sort name)" are two different catagories. Thus, you could have the composer's name show normally in Album view, which I prefer, but when viewing or printing out your collection from table view by choosing "Composer (sort name)" you will see the name as the entry you made for filing purposes.

c) Can i get rid of a lot of tabs i don't want...such as Credits, Recording, Notes.
    As was said above, I do not believe this can be done. But I use the "Credits" tab regularly. Although entry of the credits can be tedious (especially for large choral works), it is here that you are able to catalogue conductors, orchestras, ensembles and soloists as such. As well, the "Notes" tab can be useful as well for containing any information for the album for which there is no appropriate catagory but you wish to see in the Album View.

As for entry of information, by far the easiest way is simply to place the recording in your CD drive and click on the icon for "Scan CD ROM Drive". If you're lucky the information for your recording will be available, but be advised that if the recording is rare or brand new nothing will turn up and you will need to enter everything yourself. As well, the track information is often in a format that I do not like and I wind up re-entering myself. This is especially important for classical music as very often an album will contain several different works and the only way to know where a particular work is located, at least that I have found so far, is in the tracks view. You can also, as I did, create a custom tab that lists all the works contained on the album by composer, title and opus or catalogue number.

I know OCD is rather daunting at first, but once you find a routine that satisfies you, it's very simple to use. Good luck.

A belated thanks for your kind help.Seems like we have same kind of CD and all these db assume we want "pop".
    Incidentally I want to move some items from one db to another. How do I carry this out?
    In numbering I want to start new db. at 5001 and go incrementally.Can this be done? Brian

You asked this same question in another section of the Forum and here is what I replied there:

Under Database -> Import and Export

Import from Orange CD database: Transfer album data from another OrangeCD Suite Database. You can choose the specific albums to import.

There are other export and import options as well.

Does this not work?

Quote Originally Posted by Basilmusic View Post
    A belated thanks for your kind help.Seems like we have same kind of CD and all these db assume we want "pop".
    Incidentally I want to move some items from one db to another. How do I carry this out?
    In numbering I want to start new db. at 5001 and go incrementally.Can this be done? Brian