Thread: Newbie questions

Default Newbie questions

I have a couple of newbie questions:

1) What is the relationship between Category and Genre? Why these two fields?
    2) Is there a way to edit the list of Genre and Category? I want to use my own.
    3) How does the SqueezeBox controls work? I found an entry to point to the SqueezeServer but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Is this feature documented somewhere?

[QUOTE=phibon;16742]I have a couple of newbie questions:

1) What is the relationship between Category and Genre? Why these two fields?
    2) Is there a way to edit the list of Genre and Category? I want to use my own.
    3) How does the SqueezeBox controls work? I found an entry to point to the SqueezeServer but it doesn

Hmm, same here. I guess your reply is missing on this post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phibon View Post
    Hmm, same here. I guess your reply is missing on this post as well.
    Not sure what I am doing to screw up the posts, but here goes.

1. I use Category for the major grouping - jazz, classical, blues
    2. I use Genre (and Sub-genre as they work the same) for subdivisions (free jazz, hard bop, Chicago blues, symphony, string quartet, etc.)
    3. You can edit the Category list by going to View > Preferences > Database, highlight Category and click Edit Selected List. You can add categories and delete ones you don't use.
    4. You can edit the Genre (and Subgenre) list by the same process, highlighting Genre, of course)
    5. For a one-off entry to Genre you can just type it into the box (you can't do that for category), but it won't be added to the pull-down list