Thread: Album track sort problem

Default Album track sort problem

Hello, I bought this program because it supports squeezebox. This works fine (except that a visible play button would be nice) but now I encountered a problem for which I have not found a solution. Not by examining all menu items and context menus, and not by searching the forum threads.

I entered an album with many tracks and found out that the track order was not correct. I use numbering in my filenames, but perhaps that is not working.
    Then I added numbering in front of the track titles, but that also didn't work out. When I use rescan those numbers even disappear for some track titles.
    My question is: how is track ordering achieved and how can I correct the ordering in the database (without doing it by hand).
    I looked everywhere, but I could not find it.

TIA, Han
    Last edited by HanR; 04-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.

After more thinking and looking at other albums I found an answer (perhaps the right one). Sorting seems to be by track number. The album was split over two disks, which I used to note with disk number and disk track. So track 05 on disk 1 is numbered as 105 and track 05 on disk 2 is numbered as 205, but internally there are two tracks with number 05. This seems to create the wrong ordering. After changing the track numbering to succesive numbers, I deleted the album and inserted it again. The order is now correct.
    Is there another way to achieve the desired order?
    Last edited by HanR; 04-01-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Default Ordering

Quote Originally Posted by HanR View Post
    After more thinking and looking at other albums I found an answer (perhaps the right one). Sorting seems to be by track number. The album was split over two disks, which I used to note with disk number and disk track. So track 05 on disk 1 is numbered as 105 and track 05 on disk 2 is numbered as 205, but internally there are two tracks with number 05. This seems to create the wrong ordering. After changing the track numbering to succesive numbers, I deleted the album and inserted it again. The order is now correct.
    Is there another way to achieve the desired order?
    One of the few shortcomings of Orange CD is that it is not possible to split a set of tracks into two or more cds. This has been a frequently asked for change. (It is a problem for me because emusic.com tracks from a cd with multiple disks get downloaded into one folder and Orange thinks this is one disk.) It is possible, though, to reorder tracks on a cd. Under album properties select the tracks tab. Once you select a track you can move it up or down in the list with the arrows in the upper right corner.

It is also possible to split a set of tracks into an A and B (and a C and D) side as for an lp (that's under the MORE button at the bottom right of the tracks tab) and have that simulate splitting the tracks into two or more cds.

Thanks for the answers Jazz_North.
    I already found the first solution, but rejected it for 80 tracks.
    I will look at the second method. Splitting albums in A, B, etc. looks a bit like 1, 2, etc. It seems to me that the result is only another way of showing the numbers. You still have to reorder the tracks manually.
    Renumbering the tracks is not too much work. I first renumber the filenames (automatically) and then import the resulting numbers as Track Numbers.
    Last edited by HanR; 04-03-2009 at 10:02 PM.