Thread: Multiple album/track artists

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Within artist problem

I have found another display issue as I work with the very useful collaboration feature and my classical collection. If an artist has a collaboration in addition to solo pieces, then the full name of the collaboration appears before the album title in the list under the artists name. The cd is correctly sorted by title, but the collaboration obscures the title. Here's what I mean. I have several Viktoria Mullova cds. Several are solos, such as 3 Bach Partitas, and others involve collaborators. Here is how they get listed using Browse By artists (no compilations)

Mullova, Viktoria
    Bach: 3 Partitas (1994)
    Bartok & Stravinsky: Violin Concertos (1997)
    Brahms: Violin Concerto - Sonatas - Trio
    Viktoria Mullova, Boston Symphony Orchestra & Seiji Ozawa :: Tchaikovsky, Sibelius: Violin Concertos
    Twentieth-Century Violin Sonatas
    Viktoria Mullova, Il Giardino Armonico & Giovanni Antonini :: Vivaldi: 5 Violin Concertos

It should display:

Mullova, Viktoria
    Bach: 3 Partitas (1994)
    Bartok & Stravinsky: Violin Concertos (1997)
    Brahms: Violin Concerto - Sonatas - Trio
    Tchaikovsky, Sibelius: Violin Concertos :: Viktoria Mullova, Boston Symphony Orchestra & Seiji Ozawa
    Twentieth-Century Violin Sonatas
    Vivaldi: 5 Violin Concertos :: Viktoria Mullova, Il Giardino Armonico & Giovanni Antonini

Or at least I should have the option of it displaying this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    I have found another display issue as I work with the very useful collaboration feature and my classical collection. If an artist has a collaboration in addition to solo pieces, then the full name of the collaboration appears before the album title in the list under the artists name.
    This was done on purpose so you could see that the specific album is released as "John Lennon & Yoko Ono" and not just "John Lennon".

You can disable this behavior. Right-click tree view and select Customize View. Switch to Options tab. You will see this format string in first box:

Code:
    {%b :: }%T{ (%Y)}
    Remove the first part in curly braces and press OK. Your new format string should look like this:

Code:
    %T{ (%Y)}
    (Technical explanation: %b expands to full artist name if it's collaboration album, or expands to empty string if it's simple artist album. If you remove %b, artist will never show up.)

Default Thanks

Andrei

Thanks for the explanation. I just moved %b to the end of the string. The fact it's a collaboration is still there, but the album names are more prominent. That leads to a follow up question. Is it possible to change the sort order under artist? Say I wanted the cds sorted by year rather than by title.