Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A few questions... :)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4

    Default A few questions... :)

    Hi all!

    Let me just start off with saying that OrangeCD Suite is the best tool for a record collector I've tried so far. Just tried the trial version the last couple of days, and added about 200 titles just to get the feel of it and to see how it works. Definitely gonna buy a registration key in a few days

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: A few questions... :)

    1. When searching for covers, is it possible to do a simultaneous search in all Amazon databases?

    This is not, to my knowledge, possible and would require a sequential search. This may get a little problematic. Do you want it stop at the first one it finds (some times it finds several from one database) or search all of them all the time?

    2. Trouble renaming artists. I got some artist names wrong from the automatic lookup when I do CD scanning. Tried to right click the artist name folder in the list on the left side of the program window, and choose Rename (F2) but nothing happens.

    You have to change this on the General tab of the cd properties for the one you got wrong. OrangeCD makes a distinct Artist entry for every unique entry in the artist box in cd properties, with the exception noted next. You can have several spellings or different names for one artist by adding spellings or alternate names in the Other spellings or names box on the Display tab of the artist properties, but this probably isn't how you want to correct misspellings.

    3. If I buy a registration key, can I install it on more than one computer at home? I got a desktop computer and a laptop. Would be nice to install it on both pc's, have the database stored on the desktop and share the folder on my LAN.

    Andrei has warned me that while this is possible, you have to be careful not to have both the desktop and the laptop accessing the database at the same time or you may have the pleasure of starting all over from scratch. OrangeCD is not designed for a multiple user environment.

    4. Adding 2 identical titles. I got double up of a couple of titles, and I'd like to enter both of them in the database.

    You can enter the number of copies of a title on the Library tab of the cd properties. Currently, there is no direct way to have this information appear in the album display. Perhaps Andrei could make this an option under the

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: A few questions... :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    1. When searching for covers, is it possible to do a simultaneous search in all Amazon databases?

    This is not, to my knowledge, possible and would require a sequential search. This may get a little problematic. Do you want it stop at the first one it finds (some times it finds several from one database) or search all of them all the time?
    I'd like some checkboxes in front of each of the databases, and it should then search all the checked ones. I'm not talking about adding albums, but just in the download cover window. The collectorz programs have this functionality, and its very handy when you're gonna add alot of albums where many of them are rare.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    2. Trouble renaming artists. I got some artist names wrong from the automatic lookup when I do CD scanning. Tried to right click the artist name folder in the list on the left side of the program window, and choose Rename (F2) but nothing happens.

    You have to change this on the General tab of the cd properties for the one you got wrong. OrangeCD makes a distinct Artist entry for every unique entry in the artist box in cd properties, with the exception noted next. You can have several spellings or different names for one artist by adding spellings or alternate names in the Other spellings or names box on the Display tab of the artist properties, but this probably isn't how you want to correct misspellings.
    Figured this one out. Rename artist in album window does the trick, except if the upper/lowercase is wrong. Then you gotta change the name of the artist to something different. It will then delete the artist folder and make a new one, and then you change it back. Seems like it has to delete the old folder and make a new one to be able to change case of the letters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    3. If I buy a registration key, can I install it on more than one computer at home? I got a desktop computer and a laptop. Would be nice to install it on both pc's, have the database stored on the desktop and share the folder on my LAN.

    Andrei has warned me that while this is possible, you have to be careful not to have both the desktop and the laptop accessing the database at the same time or you may have the pleasure of starting all over from scratch. OrangeCD is not designed for a multiple user environment.
    Ok, nice to know

    [quote=Jazz_North]4. Adding 2 identical titles. I got double up of a couple of titles, and I'd like to enter both of them in the database.

    You can enter the number of copies of a title on the Library tab of the cd properties. Currently, there is no direct way to have this information appear in the album display. Perhaps Andrei could make this an option under the

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,548

    Default Re: A few questions... :)

    Figured this one out. Rename artist in album window does the trick, except if the upper/lowercase is wrong. Then you gotta change the name of the artist to something different. It will then delete the artist folder and make a new one, and then you change it back. Seems like it has to delete the old folder and make a new one to be able to change case of the letters.
    For upper/lowercase change, it is best to use Library -> Artist Manager.

    Ok, didn't see the number of copies thing I guess it will have to do for now.
    Actually, you can add Quantity to your album display in View -> Customize -> Theme. Corresponding option is called "Quantity".

    I also found another little thing that bothers me: Artist names that start with a single A isn't sorted right, it doesn't sort it by the A...? I'll give you an example: The band named A Perfect Circle is sorted under P, not A. I tried looking around for some settings to change this, but couldn't find any.
    OrangeCD maintains a list of words that are ignored when sorting. "A" is one of these words. You can delete it from the list in View -> Preferences -> Database tab -> Custom lists/Ignorable words.

    Andrei has warned me that while this is possible, you have to be careful not to have both the desktop and the laptop accessing the database at the same time or you may have the pleasure of starting all over from scratch. OrangeCD is not designed for a multiple user environment.
    Another approach is to make your network share read-only - it will be good and safe! OrangeCD handles read-only databases very well - everything works but you won't be able to make modifications.

    Andrei

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: A few questions... :)

    Thx alot, got it sorted out now

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •