Thread: Preferred Method To Index CDRs?

Default Preferred Method To Index CDRs?

I'm curious to know what is the most accepted/simplest way in which to designate and separate those CDRs which are not in jewel cases or in your "main" library? I'm referring to those which are simply stored in a carrying case with sleeves.

I have some CDRs which are in jewel cases with liner notes, cover art, etc., which I've treated like my "commercial" CDs, but have a couple hundred which are not in that category, and would like for them to stand out at-a-glance when looking at my collection.

Obviously, I'd mark the entry as a CDR rather than a CD, but what other designation have OCD users come up with? I could put a simple, short notation in Personal Notes, but I'm trying to minimize the number of keystrokes.

Thanks.

Ron

Default Re: Preferred Method To Index CDRs?

Hi Ron,

I use a combination of two fields.

General page: Format = CD-R
    Artwork page: Packaging = Sleeve

BTW, you don't have to enter data in the fields when you add CDs. Instead, add a whole batch of CD-Rs, then sort the albums by addition date so you can see the albums that you have added. Then change the fields in entire batch at once using multi-select, right-click -> properties.

Andrei

Thanks, Andrei.

You lost me with your 2nd paragraph, regarding adding batches of CD-Rs. Would you mind being a bit more specific with a simple a,b,c outline?

I don't know how to sort by addition date, nor how to "change the fields in entire batch at once by using multi-select".

Thanks.

1. Scan a batch of CDRs one by one, just like you did before.

2. Click menu Navigate -> Entire collection. This will display a full list of albums (including all of your newly added CDRs).

3. Switch to Table view (menu View -> Table view).

4. Right-click the list and select Columns...

5. Add "Date Added" to the right list. Press OK. This will add a new column to the list titled Date Added.

6. Click the Date Added column header. This will sort the list according to the addition date, oldest albums first.

7. Click the Date Added column header again. This will reverse the sort order - newest albums will come first. You can now see all your newly added CDRs on top of the list!

8. Select all new CDRs. You can do it by holding Ctrl key on keyboard and clicking the CDR albums one by one, or holding Shift key (may use some training if you never used multi-select )

9. When all new albums are selected, right-click the selection and choose Properties. This will display a window similar to album properties, but instead it will display Bulk Edit in caption. Any changes you do in this window, will be applied to all selected albums at once, so be careful!

10. Edit Format and Packaging fields as needed. Again, be careful and do not edit anything else, unless you want the change to occur in all selected albums!

11. Press OK. Done!

Thanks so much, Andrei.

I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know.

For now, I'm headed to bed.

Cheers,

Ron