Thread: Problems with ID3 tags / total/track times

Default Problems with ID3 tags / total/track times

For some reason when I scan a mp3 data CD with many albums scan won't find certain Metal genres from ID3 tags. It only finds Metal and Death Metal genres but not Black Metal, Thrash Metal and Heavy Metal. I did some experimenting by changing tags and rescanning in OrangeCD Catalog and didn't find other strange thing that above mentioned. I was using the latest version.

2nd problem (maybe have been mentioned here earlier?) is with total time which is shown as one of the columns. It showed 00:00 for total time and some tracks 'track times' were missing. If I for example take a look with Winamp all are ok. (so far only with one album, haven't tried to many yet)

All in all a great program, I have been looking something like this. I don't know if you are planning this but I'd really like to see more freedom with plain text exporting (similar to html). I'm very new to this program so maybe it can be done already but if I'd like to produce something like this for every album in plain text format (either normal ascii or rich text file format) list to a file

artist album (year/bitrate/frequency/total amount of album tracks/total album time/total size)

is it possible to do it already ? I really don't care much about html outputs at the moment so I'd like to see as much as possible freedom in creating also normal text output templates.

Keep up the good work!

Default Re: Problems with ID3 tags / total/track times

Quote Originally Posted by pz
    For some reason when I scan a mp3 data CD with many albums scan won't find certain Metal genres from ID3 tags. It only finds Metal and Death Metal genres but not Black Metal, Thrash Metal and Heavy Metal. I did some experimenting by changing tags and rescanning in OrangeCD Catalog and didn't find other strange thing that above mentioned. I was using the latest version.
    Next update will have these genres in the list and will be able to recognize them, as well as some other genres supported by new WinAmp versions.

2nd problem (maybe have been mentioned here earlier?) is with total time which is shown as one of the columns. It showed 00:00 for total time and some tracks 'track times' were missing. If I for example take a look with Winamp all are ok. (so far only with one album, haven't tried to many yet)
    I cannot tell anything positive about this problem until I take a look at the actual mp3 file. I would appreciate it if you could send me at [email]orangecd@firetongue.com[/email] some (preferably small) files that expose the problem. Or, if you created these files yourself, you can just describe what encoder settings did you use.

There are certain mp3 sample/bitrates that may not be handled correctly, I think you found one of them.

I'm very new to this program so maybe it can be done already but if I'd like to produce something like this for every album in plain text format (either normal ascii or rich text file format) list to a file

artist album (year/bitrate/frequency/total amount of album tracks/total album time/total size)
    Not all of the above fields are supported at the moment. For example, frequency is not supported.

The easiest way to produce something similar to the described format is to open Entire Collection, choose the columns you need, sort by desired field, select desired albums and use "Copy As Text" context menu command.

You can then paste the data into the Notepad and save. The only problem (if it is a problem) is that the resulting file will be tab-separated, not slash-separated. Then you can open it in any spreadsheet application and do whatever you want.

You could also create a .dax template with the following content:

Code:
    ::start/web
    <!--[album(all)]--><!--[artist/]--> <!--[title/]--> (<!--[bitrate/]-->/<!--[albumtime/]--> etc.)
    <!--[/album]-->
    but as I said above, some fields are not allowed for HTML export.

Andrei

Quote:

Next update will have these genres in the list and will be able to recognize them, as well as some other genres supported by new WinAmp versions.

Answer:

Very good to hear, i think this will help not only me but all those people who use the same product and have similar problem.

Quote:

I cannot tell anything positive about this problem until I take a look at the actual mp3 file. I would appreciate it if you could send me at [email]orangecd@firetongue.com[/email] some (preferably small) files that expose the problem. Or, if you created these files yourself, you can just describe what encoder settings did you use.

There are certain mp3 sample/bitrates that may not be handled correctly, I think you found one of them.

Answer:

I'll get back to you as soon as possible, on the other hand i'm on holiday so might take some weeks until i come back and can send some file(s) to you. Be sure I will do it for you to help to make even better product in the future!

Quote:

Not all of the above fields are supported at the moment. For example, frequency is not supported.

The easiest way to produce something similar to the described format is to open Entire Collection, choose the columns you need, sort by desired field, select desired albums and use "Copy As Text" context menu command.

You can then paste the data into the Notepad and save. The only problem (if it is a problem) is that the resulting file will be tab-separated, not slash-separated. Then you can open it in any spreadsheet application and do whatever you want.

Answer:

It would be nice to see support for these too, after all I like to 'tweak' by myself what I want to see in the end result (=list file, possibly some kind of scripting as html). What you proposed is a good start, I'm eager to see how this product evolves further, i hope in the direction where there is as much freedom as possible to produce for example outputs as wanted by endusers. For sure this would be the edge and difference for your product to provide something special than any other product on the market.

Question, when is the next release or update planned to be released ?

Quote Originally Posted by pz
    Question, when is the next release or update planned to be released ?
    Tomorrow

Quote:

>Next update will have these genres in the list and will be >able to recognize them, as well as some other genres >supported by new WinAmp versions.

I did some experimenting with the newest version:

- At least 3 genres are still not showing ok (Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hardcore)
    - If the year value is not exactly known (for example year is 199x) it's not showing
    - Is it possible to have more than one picture to album ? For example front AND back cover ?

-pz