Thread: Accessing database from multiple PCs

Default Accessing database from multiple PCs

First of all, thanks for developing what I think is the best CD cataloging app on the market .

I have a small home network, consisting of 1 x Win2k3 Server and 4 x WinXP workstations. I've got Orange CD Suite (eval) installed on 3 of the XP machines, with the database sitting on the server, accessible via a UNC path on a network share.

My problem is this: I want to be able to access the database from any of the XP workstations. When I try this by simply opening the database file on the network, I get an error (unable to open file). The file is not open on any of the other machines at the same time, so I don't think it is a file locking issue. I can sort of get around this problem by importing the file and saving a local copy, but ideally, I want to be able to access and update the same database from multiple PCs - not simultaneously, just one PC at a time. Is this possible?

Of course, I guess the other thing I can do is export the database to HTML and use a web browser to browse to the database, but then I have no facility for playing the music . Is there any plan to enable either editing or playing of music via the HTML interface?

Thanks,

Simon

Default Re: Accessing database from multiple PCs

Hi Simon,

Simultaneous access from different machines or server mode will probably be implemented in future (no details yet). However, there are no plans to enable music playback from remote HTML.

Andrei