Thread: Lyrics problem

Default Lyrics problem

Hi guys.

I am new to Orange, but so far find it to be very useful and a great way to start up my website. Unfortunately, I have come across a problem.

I entered the lyrics into about 20 or so of my albums (mp3s) yesterday using Orange. I then added a few more albums to my harddrive and rescanned my folders so that they would be picked up. Afterwards I found that all the lyrics I had entered were gone!!!

Obviously, this occurs because the mp3s are are re-added to the database, overwriting any additions that I made. I tried adding lyrics to an actual MP3 using an MP3 player and then readding the album to my database, but the lyrics were not added.

What does everyone else do about this??? Do I just have to be very careful not to rescan a folder which contains an album I have edited, or is there something I don't know?

Thanks for any help,
    The Trickster.

Default Re: Lyrics problem

Quote Originally Posted by thetrickster
    I am new to Orange, but so far find it to be very useful and a great way to start up my website. Unfortunately, I have come across a problem.

I entered the lyrics into about 20 or so of my albums (mp3s) yesterday using Orange. I then added a few more albums to my harddrive and rescanned my folders so that they would be picked up. Afterwards I found that all the lyrics I had entered were gone!!!

Obviously, this occurs because the mp3s are are re-added to the database, overwriting any additions that I made. I tried adding lyrics to an actual MP3 using an MP3 player and then readding the album to my database, but the lyrics were not added.

What does everyone else do about this??? Do I just have to be very careful not to rescan a folder which contains an album I have edited, or is there something I don't know?
    Hi,

There are two different functions in OrangeCD Catalog:

- "Scan MP3 folders" feature looks for new albums in a folder. If OrangeCD finds the album that is already in the database, it just skips this album. Therefore, no existing albums are updated, and no fields are overwritten.

- "Rescan" feature is used for updating existing albums only. This feature does not add new albums. Instead, it looks only in the folders where the existing albums are located. You should be careful about this feature as it may overwrite some fields that were previously edited, and you cannot use "Rescan" command to add new albums.

I agree there is a confusion, something has to be done to avoid data loss. Thank you for providing important details about the problem.

Andrei

Default Re: Lyrics problem

Thanks for your reply Andrei.

Unfortunately, I am still having trouble with this. You suggest that if I do a "Scan MP3 Folder", that albums that are already in my database will be ignored. This doesn't seem to be true (at least for me).

If I add lyrics to a song in the track properties of an album (in Orange), and then do a "Scan MP3 Folder" on the folder that contains the album, the lyrics are removed from the track properties every time!

Can you suggest why this is happening and a possible solution to the problem. I'm sorry to be a pain, but I really like the software and want to make the most out of it. As it is, I have to scan in each album, one at a time, so that I don't accidently delete the lyrics out of 400 plus albums in one click of the mouse.

Thanks for any help,
    The Trickster.