Thread: Folders dont import in exact alphabetical order

Guest Guest

Default Folders dont import in exact alphabetical order

when i imported my files into the latest beta of orange cd catalog they didnt come in alphabetical order. basically it wasnt a universal issue but here is my situation.

my folders are named with a reference number then the artist and release
    00xx u2 - the joshua tree

when i add the library folder where my mp3s are ill get for example 2 U2 releases, then 1 ultravox and 3 more U2 releases rather than all the U2 releases consecutively in alphabetical order and then the ultravox. i learned early on that i liked the reference number and named my folders in the structure incorporating a number so that when i reimported my database and backed it up to DVD i wasnt mixing up the order i already established and didnt back up the same folders twice.

can someone coding this please take a look at the reference numbers? they have been buggy for awhile now.

Default Re: Folders dont import in exact alphabetical orde

Not sure if I quite understand what you are saying Daniel, but have you tried playing around with the NO TRACKS setting in the FOLDERS view? I once had a vaguely similar issue, and resolved it with a little 'tweaking'.

Re-numbering your database might also help, if it doesn't completely ruin months of work! Suck it and see...

Guest Guest

it doesnt have anything to do with a particular view. it has to do with the fact that when you import a folder/drive of files it doesnt import the folders alphebetically or in a certain order. it comes close to alphabetical/numerical, but not quite.

i just went through each orangecd listing in table view and typed in the proper reference number to match the number in my hard drive directory. i dont feel like i should have had to do that, hence the post.

What I've found (which does limit OCD) is that it doesn't import subfolder names more than 2 deep, so you don't get listing you expected. What I mean is this:

I scan my media folder 'My Music' (unchecking both the Get Info from ID3 tags options) and under the 'My Music' folder I have these subfolders:

\Incoming
    \Classical
    \Collections
    \Comedy
    \Albums
    \Motown
    \Playlists
    \Popular
    \Soundtrack
    \Various

Under My Music\Classical I have more folders, so something like this:

My Music\Classical\Byrd, William
    My Music\Classical\Barber, Samuel
    My Music\Classical\Bax, Arnold
    My Music\Classical\Berg, Alben
    My Music\Classical\Bolling, Claude
    My Music\Classical\Bruckner, Anton
    My Music\Classical\Butterworth, Arthur

etc.

Now the composers' folders that contain MP3s and no subfolders show up in the OCD tree as:

Classical::Bax, Arnold
    Classical::Butterworth, Arthur

etc.

Composers' folders that contain subfolders show up without the Classical:: prefix, and instead show the previous folder name. These folders, for example:

My Music\Classical\Bruckner, Anton\Te Deum (Bruno Walter)
    My Music\Classical\Bruckner, Anton\Symphony No 9 (Sir Georg Solti)
    My Music\Classical\Bruckner, Anton\Symphony No 9 (Bruno Walter)

Display in the OCD database tree as:

Bruckner, Anton::Te Deum (Bruno Walter)
    Bruckner, Anton::Symphony No 9 (Sir Georg Solti)
    Bruckner, Anton::Symphony No 9 (Bruno Walter)

So this throws out my organised collection in OCD as they aren't first categorised by the main folder, Classical::

It is very annoying but I there doesn't seem to be a workaround .

Guest Guest

here is a sample of my folder listing. as part of the folder name-the artist, release and number are all included.
    G:\0001 2 Many DJs - As Heard On Radio Soulwax Pt. 1

when i have a scenario such as listed below,
    G:\0038 Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash
    G:\0039 Basement Jaxx - Remedy
    G:\0040 Basement Jaxx - Rooty

the folders didnt import in the correct order
    as an example, it would do this...

G:\0039 Basement Jaxx - Remedy
    G:\0038 Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash
    G:\0040 Basement Jaxx - Rooty

i dont know what is involved with parsing and making things sequential but thats what ive run into. ive fixed the problem, but if i need to reimport my database ill need to fix it again.