Thread: Moved Folders

Guest Guest

Default Moved Folders

must say, im liking the betas so far, but i have a problem before i can start using the latest one:

recently i reinstalled my PC. when i did this, windows moved all my partition letters around, and my mp3 collection ended up as E: instead of D:...now, when i click "play" winamp just passes over each file, and doesn't play (clearly its trying to play stg which isn't there)

is there a way i can move the paths in orange?
    maybe even by doing a find/replace on the location on the .dab file?

cos if i delete all the entries and rescan the whole lot i will lose all the additional info i had stored, such as what was 2CD and what was live etc. and i aint gonna go through and change all these again if i can help it.

also a feature request: if i move the album onto cd, and delete from HDD, it would be nice to not be able to play it from the main page, so i know its on a disk....or even better to have an option "Stored on CD" to check, maybe with a CD-Ref # so if i click play, then it will automatically link to the cd drive, so winamp will play it if the cd is inserted into the cd drive. the CD-Ref would allow me to find the cd of course

Default Re: Moved Folders

1.Go to Rescan and just Scan for file names, sizes, times and bitrates.At the Bottom of the Re-Scan options...this seems to work pretty good.
    I still say there should be an option to just Scan / Locate where Album is.....nothing else. :-/

2.Go to Database Options in Preferences and go to Custom Field Labels.Make one of the Labels CDR Location.Now when ever you Scan one of your MP3 Albums make sure you put in what CDR it is Located on....like what #.That is what I do and it is very nice.

FC 8)

Guest Guest

1. Thats ok, but its gonna take forever, and i only have a relatively small collection.

the process would be good if it could be automated, i mean the whole lot has moved from
    "D:\Albums\Artist\Album\"
    to
    "E:\Albums\Artist\Album\"

maybe if the program could store a main path
    "D:\Albums\" in the preferences

and then just have all the album directories stored relative to this path
    "Artist\Album\"

like when you build a webpage, you store all the pictures without all "http:\\[url]www."[/url] crap, so when you move servers, the webpage will still function; no need to change all the links.

2. I thought about this, but it also seems cumbersome. If there were a checkbox "On CD-R" then you could allow the user to play it from the CD, without having to rescan to find the new folder (located on the CD)

These first two are kinda the same i guess....just you would need a couple of "relative folders" stored... if you want to ask me more about my ideas andreii, please email me, and we can MSN/YIM, cos i know i can't explain stuff well

Guest Guest

hey...was just wondering if there are any plans to improve this system in the near future? just cos i dont wanna change all my folders to find theres an easier way with the next beta?

Just wondering...if its not in the pipeline could you let me know, so as i know i can start rescanning the FC way

Thanks

Guest Guest

ok, so playing it appears you can do "rescan>update sizes etc" on "Entire Collection" in tree view...locate the song for which it asks, and bobs your uncle, it does the lot!

easier than doing each album in turn

Quote Originally Posted by Vivitron 15
    1. Thats ok, but its gonna take forever, and i only have a relatively small collection.
    Did you try using Rescan feature?

In fact, this feature is supposed to be smart. It will prompt you for the location of the first album, and all other albums will be found automatically.