I happen to have an interest in a number of "one hit artists" that never recorded an album. Consequently, to find a particular song title, I have acquired a large number of "Various Artists" CDs.

I downloaded OrangeCD and then installed it on Saturday November 8, 2003, and started evaluating it. Wonderful! There is this Tool Bar button with a function of "Scan CD", so I click on it, and it brings up a dialog box which (essentially) tells me to put a CD in the drive! Wonderful! Just what I wanted ... intuitive, user-friendly cataloging of my CDs.

Along about Tuesday, I was happily popping in CDs, just capturing albums, and pleased as punch with this program. Being somewhat less than observant, I catalogued some 25 CDs that I finally found to be unknown to the program when I went to edit track information I noticed to be wrong during the capture process.

Whoa! What's this "New Artist" folder with a couple dozen or so "New Album" entries? Opened an album, and found that there was no useful track information in it ... repeated the process a few times, with the same result. Since they were all supposed to be "Various Artist" entries, I checked that folder and found a somewhat different display ... added "Various Artist::" to the album names! Suspecting that I had violated a trial version restriction, I counted up the entries under "Various Artists" folder, and found exactly 100 of them. Suspicion confirmed!?!

I have gotten around this (for now) by creating a second database entry, and cataloging the remainder of my collection into it. That solution is less than satisfactory, since now I cannot search a single place for an Artist, in order to locate on which CD the song title I am interested in is located.

OrangeCD is the best of three CD cataloging programs I have tried ... by far!

Before I enter the fourth week of my trial period, I intend to purchase the program. Where I downloaded it, the price was $20 ... when I went to buy it on Monday(!), the shopping cart said $34.95. Minor problem, really, but that pricing thing should be fixed on all sites offering the program. Because of the pricing difference, I delayed making the payment for the program ... then discovered the 100 album limit that I violated.

Is this limit in the full (purchased) version of OrangeCD?

If so, is there a chance that it will be increased in a future version?