Thread: Creating a multiple column table?

Guest Guest

Default Creating a multiple column table?

Just looking at the DAX tags, and slight confused on how i would say make a table that have 2 columns that displays the cover and Artist/album.

Better that having a long page with Cover&artist/Album on its own.

help?

when i try to repeat the tag in a group it just duplicates the details.

Default Re: Creating a multiple column table?

I assume that you are talking about a template view. In that case you should have a look at the Thumbnail Table template.

1. Click Tools, and then Export to HTML....
    2. Select the Thumbnail Table template

If you're not content with the result, you can edit the Thumbnail Table.dax file.

If you want to learn more about OCD programming tags, check out [url]http://ocd.juventas.net/ocd-programming/documentation/index.htm[/url]

Guest Guest

Thanks for the tag link, very nicely put together.

I dont think i explained what i wanted very well.

The Thumb nail template will create 1 cover+notes per line,
    so if its a big collection thats 1 album per line.

I'd like to have to albums per line, ie 2 columns, just means
    less scrolling.

Now i can create a two column table and stick in the approriate tags, but what i get is two albums per line but they the same ones.

eg.. how did this guy do make the Artist list in 3 columns,
    when the CMI template only does 1 column.

[url]http://www.corryzahn.com/~d/[/url]

Now in the thumbnail template, it as the following

<!--[Album(all,$SORTBY1,$SORTBY2,$SORTBY3)]--><tr>
    <td><!--[Cover($THUMBSIZE)]-->&amp;nbsp;<!--[/Cover]--></td>
    <td><!--[Artist]-->&amp;nbsp;<!--[/Artist]--></td>
    <td><!--[Title]-->&amp;nbsp;<!--[/Title]--></td>
    <td><!--[Year]-->&amp;nbsp;<!--[/Year]--></td>
    </tr>
    <!--[/Album]-->

if i just stick in another <tr><td> i will do the same album as i mentioned above.

I persume the [/Album] tag there for move the pointer to the next album in the database.

How would the above be change to do what i want (if possible?)

Thanks

Sorry - I obviously misunderstood your question. If you take a closer look at the URLs at the [url]http://www.corryzahn.com/~d/[/url] site, you'll see that the file names and directory structures are quite different from the ones generated by the ordinary OCD templates. (Clicking the letter D takes you to a subfolder /~d, while OCD would taken you to the d.htm page) So my guess is that the pages at Corry-Zahn have been generated some other way (using mysql + php for instance).

I think the only way you can achieve multiple columns using OCDs HTML export function is to pass some of the group tags (among them the <!--[GroupCount]--> tag) to a javascript, and have the javascript calculate the length of each column and then create the columns.

Take a look at [url]http://www.firetongue.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dax;action=display;num=1097051508;st art=1#1[/url]

It may give you an idea of how to do it. As you will see, I once added column functionality to my modified CMI template (CMI_PLAY --> [url]http://ocd.juventas.net[/url]), but I never published it, simply because I was unable to solve the problem with the first entry in each column.

Guest Guest

Thanks for your reply Pheisholt, same it can't be done within OCD maybe a hint for V6 to have a <!--[AlbumNext]--> tag or something so we can manual shift the pointers rather than having to wait until we hit the <!--[/Album]--> tag.

Out of interest just to see how you did it, you still have a copy if the CMI_Play template with the change you added in?
    might learn something from it anyway

Even with an <!--[AlbumNext]--> tag you'd need to pass the function to a javascript in order to determine when you have reached one third of the albums - as far as I can understand.

Anyway, I've sent you a copy of the multi column version of CMI-PLAY. Let me know if you figure out what happened to the hover functionality of the first row of each column.

Guest Guest

Thanks for email pheisholt, i'll have a play with that beta CMI of yours

Wait i was thinking about the AlbumNext tag is that it works from left to right so you can just keep drawing the appropriate HTML tags for that section.

Right time sort my mp3 collection ready for the OCD treatment

Quote Originally Posted by esop
    eg.. how did this guy do make the Artist list in 3 columns,
    when the CMI template only does 1 column.

[url]http://www.corryzahn.com/~d/[/url]

HA.... see what happens when I don't come back here for a while? The way that I did it, is simple...

I use mulitple databases (d, ef, ghij, kl, m, n, etc...)

Once the CMI pages are generated, I manually manipulate them to create the multiple columns using FrontPage.

multiple db's would be very inconvenient, but the only reason I use orange cd is for the html page creation. I don't use it to cataloge my collection, I have a different software for that. however, it doesn't have the great html generation tools that orange has.

So it's a pain in the backside to keep 2 different db's and I wish that I could get what I want from one of the softwares, but I don't... so I maintain 2 software programs.

Sounds like a creative solution. Would you mind sharing the name of the other application you use, and explain why you find it better for managing your music collection.

I use Catraxx for my real cataloging.

I find that the system offers everythign I want in a database, there is a TON of information that can be stored in the system, as well as a lot of customizable screens.

You can store all sorts of information, and it's all linked together.

For example, I can see what songs Annie Lennox is the vocalist on (linked to Eurythmics) her solo things, anything she wrote, or produced, all linked together.

but it can't do what orange can do as far as the html.

so I have both.

There is a great utility that Andrei released not too long ago that allows for imports from the catraxx xml output, this has proven VERY useful for me.

I really like both programs, but for different reasons.

I don't think catraxx will ever incorporate the html generating tools that Andrei has here, and I don't think that orange will ever have the power that catraxx has.

SO, I pay for both, and use both...