PDA

View Full Version : Collaboration and Artist Sort Name

Jazz_North
02-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Andrei

Do you have any idea why OCD is not consistent in how it handles Artist Sort Names in collaborations? Here are a few examples of the problem:

Art Pepper & George Cables;Tête-À-Tête
Art Pepper & Warne Marsh;Art N Warne
Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims;Art 'N' Zoot

Baker, Chet & Lee Konitz;In Concert
Baker, Chet & Russ Freeman;Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman
Chet Baker & Art Pepper;Playboys

Why is Art Pepper not Pepper, Art in the first two examples when it is properly Pepper, Art in the 3rd? If OCD has Baker, Chet in the 4th & 5th examples, why does it show Chet Baker in the 6th?

It is consistently inconsistent (Art Pepper & George Cables is always that way and Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims is always that way).

Stan Jones

andrei_c
02-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Andrei

Do you have any idea why OCD is not consistent in how it handles Artist Sort Names in collaborations? Here are a few examples of the problem:

Art Pepper & George Cables;Tête-À-Tête
Art Pepper & Warne Marsh;Art N Warne
Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims;Art 'N' Zoot

Baker, Chet & Lee Konitz;In Concert
Baker, Chet & Russ Freeman;Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman
Chet Baker & Art Pepper;Playboys

Why is Art Pepper not Pepper, Art in the first two examples when it is properly Pepper, Art in the 3rd? If OCD has Baker, Chet in the 4th & 5th examples, why does it show Chet Baker in the 6th?

It is consistently inconsistent (Art Pepper & George Cables is always that way and Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims is always that way).

Stan Jones

Hi Stan,

Please go to menu Library > Manage Artists and delete any entries resembling "Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims" or "Baker, Chet & Lee Konitz". These should be collaborations, not real artists.

If this doesn't help, I'd have to ask for more data. This bug is path-dependent; i.e. it has something to do with your artist/album editing history.

Andrei

Jazz_North
02-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Andrei

I did that and what I achieved is just the opposite of what I wanted. Now ALL the artist sort names in collaborations are sorted by first name not last name. Not only do I still have Art Pepper & George Cables, but now it is Art Pepper & Zoot Sims instead of the correct Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims.

Stan

andrei_c
02-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi Stan,

Now try editing collaborations again. Make sure you got artist spelling exactly as you like in Collaboration dialog box.

Andrei

Jazz_North
02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
No luck, Andrei. I still get Art Pepper & Zoot Sims as the Artist Sort Name instead of Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims. And the same is now true for every collaboration in my database; not a single one has the correct Artist Sort Name.

Jazz_North
03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Andrei

As a test I created a new album with a collaboration between two artists who are in the database with proper sort names (Alexander, Monty and Albany, Joe) but were not in any collaborations until I created this one. The sort name that appears for the collaboration is Monty Alexander & Joe Albany when it should be Alexander, Monty & Joe Albany. I don't think any previous editing has caused this.

Stan