PDA

View Full Version : OrangeCD has stopped working...help!

pmckeealaska
05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Since yesterday, I have not been able to get into my database. Windows gives me a message saying OrangeCD has stopped working and a solution will be sent to me if one is found. Any ideas whats going on? I have 800 CD's in the database. I have it backed up, but that isnt opening either. Please help!!

Edit: I should also add that I've tried emailing OrangeCD at the firetongue email adress listed on the webpage and my emails get sent back as not deliverable!

Joebugs
05-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Since yesterday, I have not been able to get into my database. Windows gives me a message saying OrangeCD has stopped working and a solution will be sent to me if one is found. Any ideas whats going on? I have 800 CD's in the database. I have it backed up, but that isnt opening either. Please help!!

Edit: I should also add that I've tried emailing OrangeCD at the firetongue email adress listed on the webpage and my emails get sent back as not deliverable!

Hi,

Are you running the latest version? Have you tried reinstalling OrangeCD? You may have a corrupted file!!

pmckeealaska
05-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi,

Are you running the latest version? Have you tried reinstalling OrangeCD? You may have a corrupted file!!

I haven't tried reinstalling it. How would I go about doing that? Would it erase all of my files in the database if I did that?

Joebugs
05-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I haven't tried reinstalling it. How would I go about doing that? Would it erase all of my files in the database if I did that?

Just download and run/install the latest version. No data files are erased. However you should back up your data files regurarly.

andrei_c
05-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Since yesterday, I have not been able to get into my database. Windows gives me a message saying OrangeCD has stopped working and a solution will be sent to me if one is found. Any ideas whats going on?

What is exact error message that you see? Feel free to post a screenshot, or send to support at orangecd@firetongue.com . You can make screenshot by pressing PrintScreen on keyboard while message is displayed, then paste the image into email.

Andrei

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 12:40 AM
What is exact error message that you see? Feel free to post a screenshot, or send to support at orangecd@firetongue.com . You can make screenshot by pressing PrintScreen on keyboard while message is displayed, then paste the image into email.

Andrei

I'll try the screenshot. Also, when I tried sending an email to the orangecd@firetongue.com email address, it got bounced back to me as not deliverable. I'll try again.

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 12:47 AM
The print screen is not working. At any rate, the exact message I'm getting is the following:

"Orange CD has stopped working"

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

So...thats as far as I get when I try to open the program.

andrei_c
05-20-2012, 12:58 AM
The print screen is not working. At any rate, the exact message I'm getting is the following:

"Orange CD has stopped working"

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

So...thats as far as I get when I try to open the program.

Sounds like your database is corrupted. Can you find your database file (it has .dab extension, or "OrangeCD Database File") and send it to orangecd@firetongue.com? I will run some tools and attempt to fix it first.

Andrei

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm not really sure if I know how to find the correct file and send it to you. I did get a message saying that the technical information about the problem will be sent to the developer. I pressed "ok" and it said it sent the information to the developer. Not sure if you'll be getting this or not Andrei?

Also, when I did try and send something to the orangecd@firetongue.com email address, it got bumped back to me as undeliverable.

EDIT: OK...I think I've found my database file and I'm attaching it to an email now. I'll let you know if I can actually send something to the orangecd email address this time!

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 01:18 AM
OK, the email I sent with my database hasn't been bounced back to me, so I hope you got it Andrei. Please let me know if you get it. Thanks for all your help!

andrei_c
05-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Your database is fine. I think you may have outdated or corrupted OrangeCD instead.

Either way, upgrading to most recent version should fix it. Run the installer program from http://www.firetongue.com/orgcdfull.exe and click through the screens until it says it's finished.

Andrei

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Nope, that didnt work. I'm getting the same error message that I got before. I did tell me that I have Norton Virus 2009 (I actually have Norton 360, but perhaps they're the same) and that there might be some compatibility issue with it, but the steps it tells me to go through dont lead me to the same places. Could Norton be causing the problem? The database has been very slow.

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Would uninstalling it and then reinstalling it be the next possibility? I have the whole database backed up on an external hard drive.

pmckeealaska
05-20-2012, 06:04 PM
If I do uninstall and then reinstall the OrangeCD, will I be able to add my backup files into the database? If so, that might be the way to go, given that everything else has failed.

pmckeealaska
05-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Giving a bump here to see if anyone can answer my last question regarding uninstalling and reinstalling OrangeCD to try and get it to work. Will I be able to input my backuped files once I do that?

Joebugs
05-23-2012, 07:02 AM
Nope, that didnt work. I'm getting the same error message that I got before. I did tell me that I have Norton Virus 2009 (I actually have Norton 360, but perhaps they're the same) and that there might be some compatibility issue with it, but the steps it tells me to go through dont lead me to the same places. Could Norton be causing the problem? The database has been very slow.

The reason the database is running slow is probably because of Norton. I used to have Norton running and encountered same problem. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials, which I have been using on a number of computers for two to three years. No problems so far.

What I suggest is that you uninstall Norton Antivirus, uninstall and reinstall OrangeCD. You should not have any problems restoring backups. Also uninstalling Orange CD would not remove the data files and the database should be available. If OrangeCD runs Ok then I suggest that you forget about Norton and install MSE.

pmckeealaska
05-24-2012, 03:30 AM
I didnt uninstall Norton but I did go through the process of getting around the Norton issues associated with OrangeCD. However, after uninstalling and then reinstalling OrangeCD, it still wont open the database and I'm getting the same error message. I am bummed. I cant get into a database I spent weeks compiling! I dont know what else to do. I dont want to get rid of Norton and have my computer unprotected and then have to buy some other computer protection software.

Any suggestions about what, if anything I can do now to try and resolve this?

Joebugs
05-24-2012, 07:00 AM
I didnt uninstall Norton but I did go through the process of getting around the Norton issues associated with OrangeCD. However, after uninstalling and then reinstalling OrangeCD, it still wont open the database and I'm getting the same error message. I am bummed. I cant get into a database I spent weeks compiling! I dont know what else to do. I dont want to get rid of Norton and have my computer unprotected and then have to buy some other computer protection software.

Any suggestions about what, if anything I can do now to try and resolve this?

You seem to have a problem. Just to let you know that Microsoft Security Essentials is free and very good.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/utilities/anti-malware-software/microsoft-security-essentials-640587/review

pmckeealaska
05-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Well, I've tried everything to try and get OrangeCD to work and nothing is happening. I guess I have no choice but see if removing Norton 360 and then uninstalling and reinstalling OrangeCD will be the answer. I just cannot imagine why the program would have worked for almost a year, and then suddenly stop working! I am a little concerned about removing my security program though, even if I am going to install MSE later. Should I take my computer offline after I download OrangeCD just to make sure if works without Norton and then go back online and install MSE? Does it matter? I just dont know if the second I have no virus protection, I'll get attacked?

Joebugs
05-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Well, I've tried everything to try and get OrangeCD to work and nothing is happening. I guess I have no choice but see if removing Norton 360 and then uninstalling and reinstalling OrangeCD will be the answer. I just cannot imagine why the program would have worked for almost a year, and then suddenly stop working! I am a little concerned about removing my security program though, even if I am going to install MSE later. Should I take my computer offline after I download OrangeCD just to make sure if works without Norton and then go back online and install MSE? Does it matter? I just dont know if the second I have no virus protection, I'll get attacked?

There's no guarantee that OrangeCD will work after removing Norton 360. But it's worth a try.
I suggest that you go offline when unprotected.

I also suggest if you havent't done it already to clean the registry. I use CCleaner. It does a good job for me.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Good luck.

Joe

pmckeealaska
05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
There's no guarantee that OrangeCD will work after removing Norton 360. But it's worth a try.
I suggest that you go offline when unprotected.

I also suggest if you havent't done it already to clean the registry. I use CCleaner. It does a good job for me.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Good luck.

Joe

Thanks for all your suggestions Joe. I know you're correct in that there are no guarantees, but it is frustrating that the program worked fine for almost a year and then just stopped working. Very strange. At some point today, I'm going to give the uninstall/install route a try. I'll keep you posted as to the results.

sbeck201
05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
I had the same problem last year and despite Andrei's assistence, I was unable to recover the program and database in it's original state. Each time I opened OrangeCD or clicked on the database file, I got the same error message as the OP. I uninstalled and installed the program several times but each time I got the error.

If I recall correctly, I opened the OrangeCDPlayer then used Organize Collection to create a new database. This allowed OrangeCD to open, but it would crash if I then tried to open my old database. So in the end, I deleted by old database (and backup file) and used the OrangeCDPlayer option to create a brand new database and I'm now in the process of doing my collection over again. Unfortunately when it crashed originally I was only had less than 100 titles to enter out of 4066.

Steven

Joebugs
05-27-2012, 03:59 PM
I had the same problem last year and despite Andrei's assistence, I was unable to recover the program and database in it's original state. Each time I opened OrangeCD or clicked on the database file, I got the same error message as the OP. I uninstalled and installed the program several times but each time I got the error.

If I recall correctly, I opened the OrangeCDPlayer then used Organize Collection to create a new database. This allowed OrangeCD to open, but it would crash if I then tried to open my old database. So in the end, I deleted by old database (and backup file) and used the OrangeCDPlayer option to create a brand new database and I'm now in the process of doing my collection over again. Unfortunately when it crashed originally I was only had less than 100 titles to enter out of 4066.

Steven

Hey, this is worrying. If this can happen what I suggest is that every now and then one renames and keeps various backups. Say every month the backup is renamed Maybackup.obk etc. Thus if the database/last backup is corrupted one can always go to a previous backup. I can't imagine creating a new database after all the time it took me.

Maybe Andrei can clarify on this; also an automatic backup rename after two or three backups would be welcomed.

Paddy
05-27-2012, 04:27 PM
But auto backup is already available, under 'Preferences', on the 'Backup' tab.

Paddy

Jazz_North
05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
My only difficulty with the automatic backup is that it is based on sessions, that is the number of times OCD is opened & closed. As OCD is left open on my computer and the computer is seldom turned off, I have had to set the count at 1. It would be better if the automatic backup trigger were in days.

But auto backup is already available, under 'Preferences', on the 'Backup' tab.

Paddy

pmckeealaska
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey, this is worrying. If this can happen what I suggest is that every now and then one renames and keeps various backups. Say every month the backup is renamed Maybackup.obk etc. Thus if the database/last backup is corrupted one can always go to a previous backup. I can't imagine creating a new database after all the time it took me.

Maybe Andrei can clarify on this; also an automatic backup rename after two or three backups would be welcomed.

I havent tried removing my Norton program yet and then reinstalling OrangCD. I will later this week, but if there's a danger of this happening again, then whats the point? I do have my database backup on a seperate drive, but if I can never open the program, it doesnt really do me any good. This seems ridiculous to me. Do we have no recourse? I only have 850 CD's entered, which sounds like nothing compared to others on here. There must be a solution. Andrei?

andrei_c
06-02-2012, 06:55 PM

You can also create new backup file every time, using current date. This is a safer option if there is a suspected database or hard drive issue.

To create new backup file every day, insert %x in file name in View -> Preferences -> Backup (assuming you have enabled auto-backup already).

Your entire backup file name line will look something like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-%x.obk

When backup is being made, this will result in file names like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-06-02-12.obk

Joebugs
06-02-2012, 08:13 PM
You can also create new backup file every time, using current date. This is a safer option if there is a suspected database or hard drive issue.

To create new backup file every day, insert %x in file name in View -> Preferences -> Backup (assuming you have enabled auto-backup already).

Your entire backup file name line will look something like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-%x.obk

When backup is being made, this will result in file names like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-06-02-12.obk

Thanks Andrei,

This is a great option. Having different backup files to go back to if somehow the database gets corrupted is very important.

pmckeealaska
06-07-2012, 09:45 PM
So let me get this straight...even though I made sure to make a backup of my database, I'm still screwed and will never get my database back? What if I buy a new computer and load OrangeCD on it and load my backup onto it? Should it work then??

frederf
06-08-2012, 06:01 PM
No.. you will have no problem. After installing OCD you would choose restore from backup under the database menu.

Fred

granit
06-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Andrei

You should share these goodies with us IT challenged people... How about adding this to the tip of the day.
Regards

Al

pmckeealaska
10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I removed my Norton Security software, uninstalled OrangeCD and reinstalled it and it STILL will not work! I get the same error message. This is ridiculous. Do I have any other course of action? Could it be contaminated files on my computer? I'm planning on getting a new computer in the next few weeks.

andrei_c
10-16-2012, 04:34 AM
I removed my Norton Security software, uninstalled OrangeCD and reinstalled it and it STILL will not work! I get the same error message. This is ridiculous. Do I have any other course of action? Could it be contaminated files on my computer? I'm planning on getting a new computer in the next few weeks.

Did you install version from our website or from other source? Please make sure to install version from our website only. Other sources may have older versions that would not work with current Windows.

And no, there's absolutely no chance OrangeCD (even old version) would compromise security of your PC.

pmckeealaska
10-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Did you install version from our website or from other source? Please make sure to install version from our website only. Other sources may have older versions that would not work with current Windows.

And no, there's absolutely no chance OrangeCD (even old version) would compromise security of your PC.

Yes, I downloaded it from your website and go the same blasted error message. I was able to use the program for about 6 months before it crapped out on me...and after I spent countless hours inputting almost 900 CD's of information. Not exactly the best investment I've ever made. I have never encountered a program that has given me the amount of grief OrangeCD has...and there is apparently nothing that can be done to get it working again short of getting a new computer and even then, I have no idea if my backup files are infected with something as well. No way can I bring myself to input all of that data again. Thats supposed to be the point of keeping a backup for goodness sake!!

cyberstasz1
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Arggh! I just encountered the same problem today! Has anything been resolved with this?