PDA

View Full Version : Sorting

Poohbear
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before!! but here goes
I want to sort my database by last name first, but to show first name first, like so
Sort by
Jackson, Al
Jackson, Janet
Jackson, Joe
Jackson, Michael
To show in left hand tree
Al Jackson
Janet Jackson
Joe Jackson
Michael Jackson
When I try to do this Michael Jackson is sorted under M
Hope this makes sense

RaulFranco
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
You just have to go to the artist' profile, there you'll find both the primary and sort name... just adjust it and that's all!

hope this helps to you... best regards

Poohbear
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry to be a pain, sort it to what?:mad:
by the left hand tree I mean the content tree/menu

RaulFranco
11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
well, go first to the artist profile, you can find it on the upper left side: Home > Entire collection > "artist name" click on it!.. once you are in the profile go to "display" there you'll find the primary name and the sort name... if you put "Jackson, Michael" as the sort name, then it will appear just like that on the left tree, now if you put Michael Jackson as the primary name, then it will appear Michael Jackson on the left tree...

Hope this will be useful!

Poohbear
11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I want Jackson, Michael to be the sort name, but when it;s shows on the left tree I want it to show Michael Jackson ie
Janet Jackson
Michael Jackson
Zebadee Jackson
Sorry I can't make it more clear

RaulFranco
11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
ok.. then the sort name should be Michael Jackson and the primary name Jackson, Michael

Jazz_North
11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
ok.. then the sort name should be Michael Jackson and the primary name Jackson, Michael

No, that would give you the sort (using my own collection):

Louis Armstrong
Louis Jordan
Lynne Arriale

when what is wanted is

Louis Armstrong
Lynne Arriale
Louis Jordan

(with lots of names between Arriale and Jordan, of course).

I have looked for ways to get OCD to sort with Last name First Name but display First Name Last Name for a long time (my first OCD entry is now 7 years old) and not found a way to do it. As far as I can tell, OCD will display in the left tree what it sorts by.

And, in any case, I do not think you can directly edit Primary Name. That is determined by what appears in the Artist Field on the general tab of an album's property sheet.

Poohbear
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Jazz_North is correct, that's how I want to sort it.
So you reckon it can't be done?

Jazz_North
11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Jazz_North is correct, that's how I want to sort it.
So you reckon it can't be done?

Someone may have figured it out, but until they weigh in with the solution I'd have to say it can't be done.

andrei_c
11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Just a clarification - is the question about sorting of folders or individual albums?

This can be easily achieved for individual albums in both left and right panes. I can post instructions if needed.

But it's not possible for folders. You can sort folders by sort name and display sort names in labels; or sort by primary name and display primary names in labels. But you can't sort by sort name and display primary name. (I hope I'm making sense.)

Jazz_North
11-10-2011, 10:00 PM
It is about folders and you confirmed what I thought was the case. Except, how do you sort folders by primary name (with primary name displayed, of course)? When I go to customize view for the folders panel, the only artist choices I have are Artist and Artist (no compilations). Both use Sort Name, not Primary Name. I have lots of choice, including a number of custom fields, but I can't see one that gives me primary name.

While I was playing around here, I just discovered an exception. If I select Entire Collection for Browse By, it displays the primary name, sorted by Sort name and then Album title. But the artists are not, of course, in folders, or rather all artists are in one folder, the one called Entire Collection. I don't know whether that will satisfy Poohbear's wish or not. For me, I would still like to be able to sort by Primary Name; with that the display from Browse by Entire Collection would then meet my needs.

Just a clarification - is the question about sorting of folders or individual albums?

This can be easily achieved for individual albums in both left and right panes. I can post instructions if needed.

But it's not possible for folders. You can sort folders by sort name and display sort names in labels; or sort by primary name and display primary names in labels. But you can't sort by sort name and display primary name. (I hope I'm making sense.)

Poohbear
11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Jazz_North, just had a look at the entire collection option.
That's how I want it sorting, ie Bryan Adams comes between Adam & The Ants
and Adamski
but has you say I want to do this by artist folder, too much to ask for I suppose, unless anyone knows different!
Seems I'm not the only one who would lke this:)
Anyway will drop back into the forum from time to time, see if anything develops, maybe when we have this big relaunch of OrangeCD, it'll be implemented:rolleyes:

andrei_c
11-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Except, how do you sort folders by primary name (with primary name displayed, of course)?

Go to Customize View -> Options tab and uncheck option "Use artist sort name in labels".

Jazz_North
11-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Sorry to continue to be a pest about this, but that doesn't work. Here's what I have when I do Customize view:

Current view:
Artist (no compilations)
Overview: not checked
No tracks: checked

Options:
Album label format (artist folder): %T{(%Y)}{:: %b}
Album label format (other folder): {%a ::}%T{(%Y)}
Use artist sort name in labels: unchecked
Single click opens topic: checked
Show tooltips: checked
In place editing: checked
Sort order: Title, artist

And the sort order of the folders is still artist last name, artist first name (as is the display name)

Go to Customize View -> Options tab and uncheck option "Use artist sort name in labels".

Poohbear
11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Do we need to be able to edit the primary name then?

Jazz_North
11-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Do we need to be able to edit the primary name then?

I don't think you can do this except when you edit the property for the album. Primary name is simply the name that appears in the Artist box on the general tab. You can't edit it in the artist profile and I haven't found any place other than the album properties where it can be done.

Poohbear
11-13-2011, 05:38 PM
It could be implemented though, couldn't it?

Jazz_North
11-13-2011, 10:04 PM
It could be implemented though, couldn't it?

That would lose the connection to the cd entry; might as well just change it in album properties. And then there is the entanglement of the Other spellings entries. There is a reason you can't edit the primary name by itself and that is because in OCD it is a kind of index.

Poohbear
11-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Ah well, never mind
Still a super piece of software though.
Let's see what this promised revamp brings:D

Jazz_North
11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Ah well, never mind
Still a super piece of software though.
Let's see what this promised revamp brings:D

You can, of course, make the sort name be the primary name, but then it will sort by first name (and you will have to change every artist's properties.

andrei_c
11-15-2011, 06:48 AM
I don't think you can do this except when you edit the property for the album. Primary name is simply the name that appears in the Artist box on the general tab. You can't edit it in the artist profile and I haven't found any place other than the album properties where it can be done.

Actually, you can edit primary names in menu Library -> Manage Artists. Select artist and click Rename button.

(Note that individual albums will retain original artist name as alternative spelling, but they will be listed under new name in tree.)

Poohbear
11-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Can anyone tell me if this will be the answer I'm looking for?:confused: