PDA

View Full Version : anyone else w/ this problem?

bcrm1
06-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I've used this program for 4 - 5 years now and love it! However, after upgrading to version 6.4.2 it runs EXTREMELY SLOW. Anyone else encountered this? Orange cd catalog seems to be the only program on my pc that's lagging....

ekoliniol
06-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I once had a similar problem and found out that it was my antivirus that scanned the dab file.
Check which processes are using your cpu when you use orangecd to verify the above.
If this is the case try excluding the dab file from your antivirus

andrei_c
07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I've used this program for 4 - 5 years now and love it! However, after upgrading to version 6.4.2 it runs EXTREMELY SLOW. Anyone else encountered this? Orange cd catalog seems to be the only program on my pc that's lagging....

This sounds like Norton Antivirus. Its scanning process gets extremely slow when it works with OrangeCD - and what's worse - it prevents OrangeCD from accessing it while it's working.

It is a bug in Norton which is nearly impossible to work around. You have to exclude *.DAB files from virus scanning.

Andrei

Martod
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I got Orange in two computers: Laptop Windows XP Pro, Desktop Windows 7.
I've the same problem....and I have Microsoft essential....

Martod
07-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Fixed.....as Andrei sad! Thanks

bcrm1
08-06-2010, 07:04 PM
not sure i'm doing the exclusions right...still having probs. can anyone walk me through it?

frederf
08-08-2010, 01:53 AM
not sure i'm doing the exclusions right...still having probs. can anyone walk me through it?

What antivirus program/version are you using?

fred

bquam
08-08-2010, 01:56 AM

Open Norton Antivirus, then COMPUTRER > Settings
Go to Exclusions > Scan exclusions > configure
Under REAL TIME PROTECTION EXCLUSIONS add your database (all .DAB files)
save and exit

Hope this was clear, if not, feel free to ask me any questions.

bcrm1
08-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Symantec Endpoint Protection

bquam
08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Symantec Endpoint Protection

My previous post mistakenly assumed you were using Norton Antivirus which I use at home where I have Orange CD.

My office computer uses Symantec Corporate which I believe is the product that Endpoint Protection derived from. I don't use Orange CD on that machine but I will look at it and see if I can figure out how to setup scan exclusions with it. It may not be the same as Endpoint but I will take a look.

Our corporate machines may also be setup so configuring exclusions may be in the domain of our IT department.

pheisholt
09-07-2010, 07:21 PM
This sounds like Norton Antivirus. Its scanning process gets extremely slow when it works with OrangeCD - and what's worse - it prevents OrangeCD from accessing it while it's working.

It is a bug in Norton which is nearly impossible to work around. You have to exclude *.DAB files from virus scanning.

Andrei

The same seems to apply to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) - the corporate equivalent to Norton AntiVirus/Norton 360.

I must admit that I strongly dislike having to make an exception for .dab files. If this problem actually is due to a bug in Norton Antivirus/SEP, has it been reported to Symantec? And have you received any response, Andrei?

Best regards
-paul-

tearaway
05-10-2012, 01:06 AM
I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (actually left Norton for it) and had to exclude the .dab file to get good OrangeCD performance. This was also necessary for my backups to complete in a reasonable time.

rosinski
05-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (actually left Norton for it) and had to exclude the .dab file to get good OrangeCD performance. This was also necessary for my backups to complete in a reasonable time.

FWIW, I've been using MS SE for 2-3 years, and have never had a problem with OrangeCD slowness and haven't had to exclude the .dab file. I'm running Windows 7 though, so perhaps that is the difference.

I *did* have to do the exclusion when I was using Win XP and Norton though.