PDA

View Full Version : A way to force coimpilations to behave like albums?

paul
03-12-2010, 02:40 AM
So is there or is there not a way to force compilations (like a Windham Hill album or a soundtrack) to behave like a standard group or individual album?

For example, force Artists --> Musicians, so that you would end up with

Artist = Windham Hill
Album = Sounds of Wood & Steel
Track = whatever
Track artist now = track musician

so that browsing Artist (overview) + Artist (no compilation), all Windham Hill would end up under W Windham Hill and nowhere else, particularly not refracted throughout and cluttering the browsing list under the omnigeneric "Various Artists".

Surely someone has found a tweak or a workaround for this so that all types of albums will behave identically, no?

Thanks

andrei_c
03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Paul,

These steps should do it:

1. Right-click in the content pane and select Customize View.

2. In Current View tab, select first item on the right side. It should be titled "Artist (overview)".

3. Check "No track" option. Note title changes to "Artist (no tracks overview)"

4. Press OK.

Thanks,
Andrei

paul
03-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks, Andrei.

No, I'm afraid that didn't do what I needed. Every artist on the compilation is now separately listed.

What I was looking for, at least for my purposes, was a way to singly list soundtracks and compilations, for example, "Artist"="Windham Hill", "Title"="Sounds of Wood & Steel", only.

Whether you want your database to accommodate my wish (which may or may not have broader interest) is, of course, your decision, but from what I've seen your database already allows, it seems to my ignorant eye that it might be somehow possible to, upon a triggering override selection, "push" as it were the original various artists into the slots to be occupied by "Musicians" under "Track Properties", such that

1. Select whatever-named override switch

2. All original "Artists" now become "Musicians" on their respective Tracks under Record Properties; a Musicians column now (or always) exists adjacent to the respective Title & Artists columns under Tracks

3. Title and Artist for the album are now blank, to be filled in as desired, whereupon they then behave as all other Titles and Artist entries behave throughout the database, depending on elections.

Anyway, that would be my wish. As things seem to function now, I'll probably want to use one database for my individual and group artist albums and another, if at all, for my compilations, if in fact I continue with OCD long term. It seems as though everything is already in place in OCD to do what I want, I somehow just can't seem to execute it.

Thanks again!

paul
03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Ah, I see now what you're getting at.

Previously my display was Artist (overview)+Artist, under which was neatly arranged

R
Rolling Stones, The
(multiple Rolling Stones albums, all collected under Rolling Stones, The

Switching to Artist (no tracks overview)+Artist kept my originally desired hierarchical order, but threw in individual compilation artists everywhere

Switching to Artist (no tracks overview) only solved the disparate compilation artists problem, but lost me the intermediary collective hierarchy "Rolling Stones, The" in the bargain; all Rolling Stones albums are now directly listed under R, not collected under an intervening artist designation.

Maybe I will have to go with this, then, until such time as a further controle refinement as I described just above shows up.

Thanks again, Andrei

paul
03-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Ah, but of course!

Artist (no tracks overview) + Artist (no compilations)

Done!