PDA

View Full Version : It Would Be Good To See These Options Implemented

Me.
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I have come across a few things that I personally feel could be implemented or improved on.

I have noticed that you can't simply type a date in. You have to pick one date and that's all, which isn't the best as I personally have some CD's with tracks that were recorded in different years, e.g: 1994, 1999, 2004, etc. The CD in that case doesn't have a single year on it but a few instead. There for the CD Isn't from a certain year, but from various ones if you understand what I mean.

It would be good to just be able to personolise all the drop down menus and other bits to suit the way you want to set up your database of CD's.

I have also noticed that you can't add the extra DVD that comes with certain CD Box Sets, Deluxe Editions, Expanded Editions, etc. I'm sure that a lot of people would like to have this option.

It would also be good to see, a way of simply copying the information of a whole CD that you have just entered into the database, by copying and pasting it, or simply just dragging it to a section, as I have had a few times I have put in a CD, one is a retail one, and the other is a Promo one. When I have done this, I get a message that the CD is already in my collection. I think that by doing this would make it more efficient and faster to add different types of the same CD to your collection.

I also feel that it would be good to see a way of linking artists together in a way, simply by selecting a box in the options. e.g:

Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5
John Lennon & Yoko Ono
Sting & The Police

...etc.

When you searched for them sice you linked them together you'd find both, but if you wanted to seperate them, all you'd have to do is unselect the box you selected in the options.

Just a few ideas

BLOWERS
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Good points! I have one answer for you, I think. You can copy all the info in a CD into another record by highlighting the CD in 'tree' view, then selecting 'duplicate' from the TOOLS menu. Open the duplicate for editing and make your small changes.
Re. your links, I use a text box, calling the field 'Music Links'! Then I save a search for the main link (e.g. 'The Beatles' for anything by the individual members) and just run that search when I need it.
Hope this helps!

Me.
03-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Good points! I have one answer for you, I think. You can copy all the info in a CD into another record by highlighting the CD in 'tree' view, then selecting 'duplicate' from the TOOLS menu. Open the duplicate for editing and make your small changes.

I have just tried this and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot! :)

I'll give the link thing a test also and see how I get on.

Do you happen to know what I can do regarding the Date issue?

BLOWERS
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I have just tried this and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot! :)

I'll give the link thing a test also and see how I get on.

Do you happen to know what I can do regarding the Date issue?

Right. Do you know about Custom Pages yet? Apologies if you know all this, but I have an answer for you! Go to View Menu. Select 'Preferences', then the 'Database' tab. Click on 'Custom Fields' button.
Choose 'Show setting for: Custom Page 1' (assuming you have no custom pages set up already - otherwise pick another).
Name the page title, and tick 'Show this page in Track Properties'. Then click 'Add', highlight 'Date' and select a Date field. When this appears highlighted, click 'Customize', which give you a few options, including to name it. For you, I suggest ticking 'per track' and 'allow period' (ie date range, as opposed to just absolute date).
Click OK, then Apply, then OK to close all dialogue boxes.
When you next look for 'Track properties', you will see the custom page you just created as a tab. Select it, and insert (in your new date field), the date that track was produced. You can get this to show in 'list view' (right pane) when you have tracks listed, simply by adding a column for that new field.

Any use??!

Me.
03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Right. Do you know about Custom Pages yet? Apologies if you know all this, but I have an answer for you! Go to View Menu. Select 'Preferences', then the 'Database' tab. Click on 'Custom Fields' button.
Choose 'Show setting for: Custom Page 1' (assuming you have no custom pages set up already - otherwise pick another).
Name the page title, and tick 'Show this page in Track Properties'. Then click 'Add', highlight 'Date' and select a Date field. When this appears highlighted, click 'Customize', which give you a few options, including to name it. For you, I suggest ticking 'per track' and 'allow period' (ie date range, as opposed to just absolute date).
Click OK, then Apply, then OK to close all dialogue boxes.
When you next look for 'Track properties', you will see the custom page you just created as a tab. Select it, and insert (in your new date field), the date that track was produced. You can get this to show in 'list view' (right pane) when you have tracks listed, simply by adding a column for that new field.

Any use??!

I followed what you recommended and it worked. Personally I don't see why the option of specifying a certain period isn't a part of the main date tab as standard.

It would be great to see all the main options being fully editable as well as having the custom ones. If it was done this way, it would give full flexibility to people who wanted to set up their collecion how they wanted, and not be restricted by any of the pre-defined options of the program.

I also think, as I had mentiond before. There should be an option of scanning/adding the bonus DVD that comes with certain CD's these days.