PDA

View Full Version : Multiple artists, not "Various Artists"

brapklak
07-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Any suggestions as to how to handle recordings where two (or more) artists, who are also in the catalog in solo CDs, team up to produce a joint effort? Obviously, they can be listed individually as musicians, but if I try to put multiple names in the "Artist" field, I seem to be creating a weird hybrid, complete with very strange sort keys. It would be nice if a CD by "Joe and John" somehow were indexed under both "Joe" and "John". Is there a magic delimiter which turns the "Artist" field into subfields?

msobetzko
08-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Wow, I certainly second that request. I have quite a few albums that joint efforst "Brian Eno & David Byrne". I also have Brian Eno albums and David Byrne albums. I would love to see the joint ventures available in both lists.

Wadson
08-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Andrei promised to implement this feature.

Unless you can use such trick:
1. Associate album artist "Brian Eno & David Byrne" with Brian Eno.
2. In track listing, add one gap after Brian Eno name: "Brian Eno[two gaps]& David Byrne".
3. Associate this spelling with David Byrne.

You can do such changes just for one track (last, for example).

Unfortunately, this trick can't help if there is one song of Brian Eno & David Byrne on various artists compilation.

GregWoz
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
That will make it much easier to track someone down. I have many tracks on cds that have two or three artists singig inconjunction. I have tried, artist1 & artist2 & artist3 in the artist field - only problem occurs if you cant reember who the first one is when you go looking for it. Although there wont be many cds with more than 3 artists making a collaberation, I certainly wouldnt be unhappy with having two artist fields to search by. I'll look forward to seeing that.

AiXeLsyD13
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
How do you associate one artist with another?

I have one band in my collection that's the same band, but had two different names. (Local guys.)

Would this be a good solution, or should I just add the old bands name under multiple spellings of the new band, & it'll all file together?

msobetzko
08-23-2007, 08:10 PM
The same band with different names works out OK if you use the alternate spelling field in the artist.

AiXeLsyD13
08-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Is there a better way to do it?

Also... I have no idea how to associate one artist with another. Help? Anyone?

Can you associate tribute albums with the original artists?

Maudia
04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I have more than 3000 CD of classical music, and I developed a database in Access which I use since before the internet. I am converting my collection to flac format to have it in a single 1 Tera external HD. I am willing to give a chance to a commercial database and I think OrangeCD the best so far. But it seems to miss one crucial thing to me: how to seek my collection by musician.

A Classical album could have many musicians (as the soloists of an opera) and every one is equally important. It similar with the situation of a pop album with two artists, but much worst (for example a sextet with six different artists and no name for the group itself - each of them a soloist in other CDs).

As soon as I have a solution for this here I will be happy to have my collection controlled by this very good program.

gurnemanz
04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
In answer to Maudia April 10. I have a mere 1800 CDs, about two thirds classical with many operas. I have added opera soloists on the Credit tab under Soloist. You can sort on this field. It does mean that someone like Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau appears as Artist for a Lieder recital and Soloist for an opera (where the "artist" would be the conductor), but you can easily do a search which will find all occurrences of his name or search any specific fields, as you wish. (I have also made a custom field for Accompanist for Lieder recitals).

My collection is on MyGenres at http://mygenres.com/rogpo/
The Soloist field does not show up on this online version of the database.

andrei_c
01-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Please read update on "Multiple artists" feature here:

http://www.firetongue.com/boards/orangecd_general/1221817704.html