PDA

View Full Version : Change Windows Media Player

Psygotran
01-01-2007, 07:17 AM
I do not want to use Windows Media Player as the default when I click 'Play' from a track listing. How can I change the default media player to a program of my choice.

Happy New Year

andrei_c
01-03-2007, 03:11 AM
I do not want to use Windows Media Player as the default when I click 'Play' from a track listing. How can I change the default media player to a program of my choice.
OrangeCD uses system default player (default player is what pops up when you double-click media file in Windows.)

So if your player is correctly installed, it should work automatically. What player do you want to use?

Andrei

Ron_Thorne
06-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Andrei, I have the same question. I recently added (for the first time) some mp3 files and they played fine from OCDC via Windows Media Player. That is not my player of choice, however. I use various players such as Winamp, VLC and Orange CD Player. When a friend shared some m4a files with me yesterday, WMP could not play them. I converted them to mp3 files and it still refused. It's frustrating! :eek:

Where is the option for me to designate another player for playing media files in OCDC?

Thanks.

frederf
06-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Hi.. it's under View/Preferences then select the media tab
Here you can configure an external player.. below is what mine looks like for foobar... (click image for larger view)

Ron_Thorne
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks, frederf!

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure of how to configure an external player, as you have done. :o

Do I simply take the address of a desired player such as:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

Then, add a forward slash and the word "/PLAY" on the top line, and "/ADD" on the bottom line, followed by "%1"?

Is that it?

Thanks very much for any additional instructions.

Jazz_North
06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
That's usually exactly it. You may find you do not need to add /PLAY; I don't need it with Media Monkey but adding it doesn't affect anything. I would note that when I used iTunes I could never get queuing to work; I assume not all players support on the fly playlists.

Just to be sure: /PLAY and /ADD are not in "", but "%1" is.

Thanks, frederf!

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure of how to configure an external player, as you have done. :o

Do I simply take the address of a desired player such as:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

Then, add a forward slash and the word "/PLAY" on the top line, and "/ADD" on the bottom line, followed by "%1"?

Is that it?

Thanks very much for any additional instructions.

Ron_Thorne
07-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Jazz_North. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I followed the example exactly, but no luck.

Back to the drawing boards with no more clue than when I started. :confused:

frederf
07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey Ron...
OK.. this is not perfect and you can do some googling to get it better, but...
Copy and paste this line into the first command line box

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --one-instance "%1"

and this in the second

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --one-instance --playlist-enqueue "%1"

as you click on a song to PLAY.. it will start playing.. if you click on another song to play it will stop the current song and start playing, but adds it to the playlist.

if you click on a song to Queue it will add the song to the playlist.

So the only problem I have with these commands is that if you have queued up a couple of songs and select play on another one that song is added to the bottom of the playlist and starts playing...

Maybe someone else can come up with a better command line, but this at least works... ;O)

Fred

cyberstasz1
12-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I have not tried some of the suggestions here but I am using Windows 7 64 and my media player of choice is JRiver Media Center 18. IMHO, the boss of media players! I have it set as default and all the icons on my music files have the MC18 logo. If I click directly on the music file outside of OrangeCD it will open using MC18, but if I click on play/queue inside of OrangeCD it opens WMP. Anyone have a solution to this or have a different media player running through OrangeCD? Perhaps I am missing something.

frederf
12-23-2012, 10:52 PM
See my post above (or below depending on how you are viewing threads ;O) Click on the image for a larger view... that works for me. Don't know if the player you are using supports command line parameters. Everything after the EXE will need to be in the format from your player.. Nothing after the .EXE is used by OCD.. just passed to you player. So it can be different for different players.

cyberstasz1
12-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Hi frederf,
Thanks much but at the moment it isn't working. I contacted Andrei via email and will wait for a response from him. I will also contact J. River to see if they have any input. I'll keep checking back here.

Mike

frederf
12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi Mike.. Can you post exactly what you put into the two fields for play and que?

cyberstasz1
12-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Fred,
Just read your post and I'm off to work. Will post tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

cyberstasz1
12-30-2012, 05:08 AM
"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe" --one-instance "%1"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe"--one-instance --playlist-enqueue "%1"

Media Center opens but does not play track.

frederf
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
OK... first look and read here.. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line From what I read there your above example is not even close :D Try figuring it out... looks rather straight forward. Replace the mc16.exe with mc18.exe and where you see "C:\path\to\file.mp3" in the examples replace it with "%1" OCD will replace the %1 with the path and name of the song that you selected. So.. give it shot and let us know if you get it working.. or not :D fred

Jazz_North
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
frederf is correct that you need to find out how to play Media Centre from the command line to use the custom playback. To save time (and more messages) here is what works for me:

MC18.exe /PLAY "%1"

Type this EXACTLY. Add nothing. Type this in the box under Custom playback.

For queing type exactly this in the box under Custom enqueue:

MC18.exe /APPEND "%1"

Then ask yourself why you aren't using Media Monkey, which does everything Media Centre does AND syncs iPhones, iPod touches AND has a version just for Android devices. (I have no connection to Media Monkey other than being a satisfied customer.)

OK... first look and read here.. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line From what I read there your above example is not even close :D Try figuring it out... looks rather straight forward. Replace the mc16.exe with mc18.exe and where you see "C:\path\to\file.mp3" in the examples replace it with "%1" OCD will replace the %1 with the path and name of the song that you selected. So.. give it shot and let us know if you get it working.. or not :D fred