PDA

View Full Version : Multiple disk sets

704set
02-18-2007, 09:39 AM
I notice that multiple disk sets sometimes has the disks listed separately with disk 1, disk 2, etc. in parenthesis as part of the title. Sometimes the multiple disks are just listed as Disk 1, Disk 2, etc. but under the title file.

What causes this and how can I change it depending on which I want to use?

Thanks,
Skip

andrei_c
02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Can you give an example of the disc (or its title)?

Starting from build 6.0.9, OrangeCD analyses the disc number indicators and removes them from title. It seems your case is special, so I would like to know what the title was.

Andrei

704set
02-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Most of the titles appear as such:
O, Yeah! - Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (Disk 1)
O, Yeah! - Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (Disk 2)

But then I have:

Buffalo Springfield
Box Set
CD1 - No information and purple font.
CD2

All the Buffalo Springfield titles are listed in Box Set with a section for CD1 and another for CD2. The CD1 and CD2 have no information and the CD1 and CD2 are in purple lettering.

704set
03-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Any help, Andrei?

Skip

andrei_c
03-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Sorry, I tried to query the CDs you mentioned but they recognized successfully and the disc numbers were extracted from the title.

Which version did you use to add these albums? The automatic box set recognition only appeared in 6.0.9. Any version prior to that would result in disc number suffices appened to the title...

I suggest that you re-download information for these CDs using right-click and Download CD Info. I think it will fix the problem.

Andrei

704set
03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
That did it. Thanks.

Ron_Thorne
03-13-2007, 04:39 AM
I recently acquired OrangeCD Suite, and am puzzled by a portion of an entry of a boxed set in my catalog.

All four CDs are shown, but in the wrong order. I've tried and tried to figure out how to shift the order so that it flows from 1-4, from top-to-bottom, but with no success.

It certainly would be nice if you could simply click and drag to shift positions. Since that option is (apparently) unavailable, how is this done? Right-clicking on Properties doesn't seem to yield answers.

Thanks.

BLOWERS
03-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi Ron,

I recently acquired OrangeCD Suite, and am puzzled by a portion of an entry of a boxed set in my catalog.

All four CDs are shown, but in the wrong order. I've tried and tried to figure out how to shift the order so that it flows from 1-4, from top-to-bottom, but with no success.

It certainly would be nice if you could simply click and drag to shift positions. Since that option is (apparently) unavailable, how is this done? Right-clicking on Properties doesn't seem to yield answers.

Thanks.

As far as I understand it (I might be wrong!), before making, say, 4 individual CDs into a boxed set, you need to stipulate the relative CD numbers within that set in "properties".

So, scan the CDs into the database, one by one.
Make sure you identify which CD is 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4 in "Part of multiple disc set - Part #" field in each disc's properties. If each CD has an individual "Part title", enter that in the box below "Part #". Then give each CD the same overall "Title" in the main "Title" field. Ensure that each CD has the same "Format".
Then... highlight all 4 entries in list view, select "Make box set" from the "Tools" menu,,,, et voila! All CDs should appear in order.

It certainly works for me. Good luck.... :)

Ron_Thorne
03-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Thanks, BLOWERS.

So, if I understand you correctly, there's nothing that can be done for my situation except to delete, then re-insert all four entries?

I'm surprised that there's not a way to correct this particular situation, especially since I added the CDs in the proper order (initially), yet they got jumbled for reasons unknown to me.

andrei_c
03-13-2007, 06:09 AM
So, if I understand you correctly, there's nothing that can be done for my situation except to delete, then re-insert all four entries?

I'm surprised that there's not a way to correct this particular situation, especially since I added the CDs in the proper order (initially), yet they got jumbled for reasons unknown to me.

You don't need to delete the entries!

1. Open box set properties (select the box set item, right-click, properties).

2. Switch to Box Set tab.

3. Correct the order by pressing Move up/Move down keys.

4. Press OK.

Andrei

Ron_Thorne
03-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Andrei, but I need a bit more guidance.

When you say 2. Switch to Box Set tab, are you referring to the Part # for Part of multiple-disk set in the General tab? If so, I've already done that for the four discs in my set, selecting 1/4, 2/4, etc. However, I don't see the Move up/Move down keys you're referring to which will change the order of my entries.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

BLOWERS
03-14-2007, 04:25 PM
[quote=Ron_Thorne]Thanks, Andrei, but I need a bit more guidance.

When you say

Ron_Thorne
03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks again, Blowers.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing part of what you're describing.

Within the General Tab, I see a Format: window in which I've chosen CD box set. Immediately below that window I've chosen 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4 as a part # of the particular box set in question. I don't see the move up/move down buttons being referred to for this. If they're the ones in the lower left hand corner, they don't affect the order of discs listed in my master list, which is what I'm attempting to alter, within the artist tree drop down.

I just realized that I overlooked your comment re:Select "Make Box Set" within "Tools". When I click on that choice, I receive a pop-up message "To create a box set, choose two or more standalone records in album list view". Whaaa? I'm lost again.

Sorry for the density, but I don't customarily have this much trouble with such things.

Perhaps what I'm trying to achieve has been misunderstood and can't be changed without re-entering all four discs in question.

Thanks for any further clarification.

BLOWERS
03-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Ron,

Try this. Select a box set you have already created, but which shows the CDs in the wrong order. THEN look at the "Box Set" tab which should be next to the "General" tab in the entry's properties. THEN highlight the CD (s) you want to move, and try moving them. I think that should solve your problems.

Then click on the + sign next to the entry in the Tree view: it will expand to show the individual CDs. When you look at the "General" property tabs on these, they should automaticaly show which disc number of the boxed set they are (i.e. 1/4, 2/4 or whatever), determined by the moves you have just made in the "Box Set" tab. You can also add a "part title" at this stage if you want. Let me know!! 8)

Ron_Thorne
03-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Ron,

Try this. Select a box set you have already created, but which shows the CDs in the wrong order. THEN look at the "Box Set" tab which should be next to the "General" tab in the entry's properties.

Thanks again for your patience and help, Blowers.

Here's the rub. There is no "Box Set tab" on my software. I'm using ver. 6.0.9 Build 11003.

When I right click on Properties, I see the following tabs, from left to right -- General/Tracks/Artwork/Credits/Musicians/Recording/Library/Notes/Custom 1/Misc.

There is a "Format" window with the General tab where you can choose CD, CDR, CD box set, etc. In this case, I've chosen CD box set, then indicated (by Part #) which disc it is within the set, i.e., 1/4, 2/4, etc.

The issue of a "Box Set Tab" has thrown me from the first mention of it by Andrei, followed by your instructions which also included using that non-existing tab.

Back to the drawing boards.

704set
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Let me see if I can help here because I have struggled through this.

To create a box set go to Tools/Make a Box Set

The tab blowers is referring to can only be seen once a box set has been made.

Hope this helps.

Skip

andrei_c
03-16-2007, 03:17 AM
The issue of a "Box Set Tab" has thrown me from the first mention of it by Andrei, followed by your instructions which also included using that non-existing tab.
Hi Ron,

Sorry if my response was too vague. The box set tab only exists for box sets. It is not visible for regular single-disc albums. So before you can use it, you need to create a box set out of your 4 assorted discs.

To do so, select all of them in the right view. For example, click the folder that contains all 4, then select them in the right view holding Ctrl or Shift key.

Once selected all 4 of them, click menu Tools -> Make Box Set. You will then need to ensure artist/composer/title is entered, and re-enter it if needed. Then switch to Box Set tab (it will be there, I promise :)) and ensure the order is also correct. If not, fix the order using Move Up/Move Down keys.

Finally, press OK.

Andrei

BLOWERS
03-16-2007, 06:34 AM
OK Ron!

Have you actually - successfully - used the "Make box set" instruction from the "Tools" menu at any time? If so, there must be a "Box Set" tab in the entry's properties. The only other possibility - as you have hinted - is that this tab only came in with a newer version.

So.... is there any reason for not downloading and installing the latest release? I have never had any problems doing this and simply running the new install file over the top of my existing version. No data has ben lost or corrupted. Sure, it will open with the new default template/theme, but you can change this back to your preferred theme easily enough (via the "View - Preferences -Theme" tab).

It might be advisable to do a back-up copy of your database first, if you are worried about losing aything! Just copy it and keep it - temporarily - in a different location. Or set a Windows restore point before installing. Am I helping at all?!! Hope so...

Ron_Thorne
03-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Hi Ron,

Sorry if my response was too vague. The box set tab only exists for box sets. It is not visible for regular single-disc albums. So before you can use it, you need to create a box set out of your 4 assorted discs.

To do so, select all of them in the right view. For example, click the folder that contains all 4, then select them in the right view holding Ctrl or Shift key.

Obviously, I thought that I'd already established a Box Set, much to my chagrin.

Sorry, Andrei, but I don't understand what you mean by "select all of them in the right view". FYI, I'm unable to select more than one of the four CDs, even while using Ctrl or Shift Key.

I would suggest that it's not terribly user-friendly to need to access both the General Tab (1 of 10) for making entries for Format and Part #, but also have to access and understand how to engage the "Make box set" portion within Tools.

I'm still quite confused, and I'm not a computer "newbie", either.

Ron_Thorne
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
OK Ron!

Have you actually - successfully - used the "Make box set" instruction from the "Tools" menu at any time?

No, I'm sorry to say, BLOWERS.

I've upgraded to 6.1.1 Build 11109 successfully, however.

andrei_c
03-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Sorry, Andrei, but I don't understand what you mean by "select all of them in the right view". FYI, I'm unable to select more than one of the four CDs, even while using Ctrl or Shift Key.
Multi-select is only possible in the right pane. So you need to:

1. click the folder that contains all 4 items. That will display them in the right pane.
2. IN THE RIGHT PANE, HOLD CTRL KEY and click each item. They will multi-select.
3. When all 4 are selected, click Tools -> Make Box Set.

It's actually very simple, you just need to do it once to get an idea. BTW, multi-select using Ctrl/Shift keys is a universal thing and works in virtually any Windows program.

Andrei

Ron_Thorne
03-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I've now encountered another problem with multiple-disc entries.

Even though all of the information provided is exactly the same except for each disc #, sometimes separate new folders are created.

Example:
I recently entered John Coltrane Live in Seattle, a 2-disc set, and 2 separate pages/folders were created, when they both should occupy the same page/folder. I entered disc 1 of 2, then disc 2 of 2, with all other information being the same.

I had a similar situation last week with a 10-cd box set. In that instance, 9 of 10 CDs occupy the same folder/page ... except for CD3 which is shown as a separate CD. I deleted and re-entered CD3 at least 4 times with exactly the same results.

Seems to be a bug. Anyone else experience this annoying phenomenon?

Thanks for any assistance.

andrei_c
03-08-2012, 07:04 AM
I've now encountered another problem with multiple-disc entries.

What's the selection in the drop down box on top of left pane? Perhaps there's a data on this album that varies from disc to disc. If so, you should be able to fix it by dragging stray discs into their correct folders.

Andrei

Ron_Thorne
03-09-2012, 01:26 AM
What's the selection in the drop down box on top of left pane? Perhaps there's a data on this album that varies from disc to disc. If so, you should be able to fix it by dragging stray discs into their correct folders.

Andrei

Andrei, I don't know if I understand your suggestion.

Are you talking about Browse by: (under Content) choices? If so, the choice now is Artist. I cannot drag albums inside that left pane. I've tried, with no success. If there is any difference in data, I haven't been able to detect it.

I need more information, Andrei. Please remember that this is your creation, so while you're intimately familiar with every aspect of the software, many of us are simply trying to learn how to use it properly.

OrangeCD Catalog is very elegant software which does most things beautifully and perfectly, but it provides moments of frustration, too.

BLOWERS
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM
The data difference can be as little (and almost hidden) as the album title having a space after it (or not!) - might sound daft, but have you checked that?

Joebugs
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
The data difference can be as little (and almost hidden) as the album title having a space after it (or not!) - might sound daft, but have you checked that?

I raised this issue sometime ago. OrangeCD sees a "space" as a character. It shouldn't be so.

Jazz_North
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
With a little experimenting, it seems the following fields must be identical for all discs if they are to be in a multiple box set. Based on my changing various fields, these are the only 4 I could find that matter:

Composer (if you are using the classical format)
Artist
Title
Format

The latter seems to me to be the most problematic, given the number of new releases that include both CDs and DVDs.

The art work does not to be identical, but, as we all know, OCD will only display the artwork associated with the first disk, except when you (left) click on a particular track and OCD displays the information for that track, it will show the artwork for the disk that track is on. The problem is when the box set has different art work than the first disk. For example, Concord released a 2 disc set of Art Blakey called Coast to Coast and created art work for that release. However, the two disks that make up the set had been previously issued separately, each with its own artwork. So while I can attach the original Live at Kimball's artwork to the second disk, I cannot have both the original artwork for New York Scene (the first disk) and for the box set. Since I actually have the box set and not the original two disks, I would like to have all three.

Ron_Thorne
03-10-2012, 01:28 AM

Yes, but I'll check again.

I raised this issue sometime ago. OrangeCD sees a "space" as a character. It shouldn't be so.

I wholeheartedly agree, but doubt that it will change.

With a little experimenting, it seems the following fields must be identical for all discs if they are to be in a multiple box set. Based on my changing various fields, these are the only 4 I could find that matter:

Composer (if you are using the classical format)
Artist
Title
Format

The latter seems to me to be the most problematic, given the number of new releases that include both CDs and DVDs.

Thanks, Jazz_North. Seems as though we have similar tastes in music. I'm a drummer, and Art Blakey has been a favorite (among many) for decades. Do you live in the north, by any chance? ;)

Thanks for the interest and tips, everyone.

I'm still interested to see what Andrei will offer to my queries.

Ron_Thorne
03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Well, I've made some minor progress.

I painstakingly looked at every single detail on the General tab, and after noting an extra space here and there after the Album Title or Artist name, was able to coax 2 "wayward" discs to sync into the proper tree.

However, in trying to complete the tree on the 10-disc John Coltrane box set, cannot find any discrepancies on disc #10, so it's still in the wrong tree. It's exhausting and frustrating. Everything looks exactly the same, yet ... :eek::(

Man, talk about the enigmatic nature of computers and software! :rolleyes:

Your thoughts, Andrei?

Jazz_North
03-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Ron

Is this the Complete Prestige set? So that discs 11, 12 thru 16 are "in the tree"?

Ron_Thorne
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Ron

Is this the Complete Prestige set? So that discs 11, 12 thru 16 are "in the tree"?

No, it's the 10-CD Wallet Box from Membran (Europe). Discs 1-9 are in the tree, but Disc 10 refuses to join them. It's on a separate branch.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drm300/m368/m36883r0w5w.jpg

All Music Guide Link (http://www.allmusic.com/album/blue-train-10-cd-wallet-box-r1404353)

Jazz_North
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Ron

I have sent you a private message.

Ron_Thorne
03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Ron

I have sent you a private message.

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

I must confess that I finally figured out my problem with respect to the elusive Disc 10 mentioned above. I had failed to change the Format from CD to CD box set.

Egg on face/operator error. :o

Sometimes it really helps to not look at the details for a while because you return with much fresher eyes.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!