PDA

View Full Version : Adding folders to a database

carferan
12-11-2006, 06:23 AM
I am completely new to OCD catalogue software. Have just bought it and downloaded it. I cannot find anywhere how to add folders to a database. Also, I cannot rename the one subfolder (its name seems to be "none"). Where do I find I guideline of how to start my new database? I love the look of the program but cannot find a "get started" guide.
Can you please help?
thanks
carferan

andrei_c
12-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi carferan,

You should not care about folders in OrangeCD much, because they are created and managed automatically. When you add an album by the artist, the folder that corresponds to artist name will appear automatically. Of course those are not real disk folders, they are displayed in OrangeCD only.

So, instead go ahead and add albums to the database using methods in Album menu.

Andrei

gosa
12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I have tha same question as the guy who originally posted.. and really - I can't say that the answer was very satisfying.

So.. well.. maybe I should not care about folders and stuff, but let's just say that I have "x" number of cd's/dvd's filled with music (a cd can contain several albums depending on compression, right?) , and I want to be able to see - in the database - which of the cd's/dvd's I need to put into my drive to listen to a specific album.

Isn't folder-control quite relevant in that case? Or are there any other means to do this?

andrei_c
12-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I think you misunderstood my reply. Of course having albums classified and grouped into folders is important. But you don't create folders to categorize albums in OrangeCD. It is the other way around: you change some fields in the albums, and then OrangeCD display the folders with albums already arranged according to the changes you made.

Let me illustrate it with your example. Suppose you store CD/DVD label in custom field 1. The process would be as simple as this:

You insert CD/DVD in drive and select menu Albums -> Scan Media Files.

After your media files are scanned from CD/DVD, you'll see a list of all new entries added to the database. You select all of those entries, right-click, choose Properties, enter the CD label into the custom field, press OK.

Then remove CD/DVD from drive, insert next one and so on.

When you're finished, all of your albums will have CD label in custom field. Then you can click the drop-down in content tree, select [More Views...] and create a view for browsing CD labels. For that purpose, add custom field to the right.

Now you can see all your albums arranged in folders by CD label.

Andrei

godzero
06-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Like the original poster, I am completely new to this software and cannot find a way to add my existing files to the database. The replies so far have not answered the question as to how you can add folders (directories) full of music files to the database. It's not about folders INSIDE the software but folders OUTSIDE.

I used the "Scan media files" function which ran for ages and inserted nothing into the database as it couldn't find the mp3 files that were right there!

It appears to be quite easy to add music from CD but that's not the issue here.

Thanks.

andrei_c
07-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Like the original poster, I am completely new to this software and cannot find a way to add my existing files to the database. The replies so far have not answered the question as to how you can add folders (directories) full of music files to the database. It's not about folders INSIDE the software but folders OUTSIDE.

I used the "Scan media files" function which ran for ages and inserted nothing into the database as it couldn't find the mp3 files that were right there!

In "Scan Media Files" feature, you need to select a folder in which your music files are stored. Otherwise, it will start looking on entire computer and that make take ages.