PDA

View Full Version : Design Flaws

02-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Despite the subject title & the "thumbs down" icon, I like OrangeCD... In most respects it's pretty slick. However...

Gripe #1 - I need to be able to individually enter or retrieve info on CDs from FreeDB, and THEN group any arbitrary number of them into an "album". This is because the record companies are issuing collections of previously released records in mega-sets, and when one scans the individual discs against FreeDB you often hit on an earlier release of the individual CDs. In a related problem, the option of saying a disc is "1/6, 2/6... 6/6" isn't adequate - many of these reissue sets have many more than six CDs in them, and I need a *complete* catalog.

Gripe #2 - I would very much like to have a simple way of exporting my OrangeCD database into a simple, text only database exchange format like CDL. I'd like to carry my album info around in a Palm PDA when I go shopping the used CD bins; one of the most useful aspects of having a music database in the first place is to tell you when you already have something buried in your collection!

Gripe #3 - All my long hair and ethnic music presents a real challenge when trying to enter non-English names and titles. How about a unicode based system with pop-up character sets for Scandinavian and other common music languages?

andrei_c
02-10-2004, 11:34 PM
[quote=Zhorkon]Gripe #1 -