PDA

View Full Version : Way to Compare/Merge 2 disc entries

mbenzi
02-23-2005, 02:48 PM
I would like a way to compare two entries prior to a merge and have complete visiblity to what will happen. This would also be nice to have during the "Update from CDDB" and "Update from Amazon" operations.

My suggested ui for doing this would borrow from the diff tool "Beyond Compare" http://www.scootersoftware.com/en/shot7w.png
Basicly there would be two columns (perhaps a third for the result?) that would contain all the info from the entries (including all track info so you don't miss any lyrics that might be in but not the other)

One use case for this would allow you to see the entry on the www.freedb.org and compare to your local, without the risk of losing anything you have added locally.

Another use case is very similiar: merging the Amazon data with your own

Third use case: merging a cd entry with an MP3 entry

Charles_Litton
02-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Excellent idea. The same feature could also be used when you upload information to freedb.org.

As I mentioned a long time ago in an earlier post, I have received error messages when trying to upload to freedb, because one field on my record did not agree with what freedb expected in it. By having a side-by-side view of what you are sending and what you have, it would be possible to modify the info you upload to freedb, while retaining your own record unchanged.