PDA

View Full Version : Any Feature

kjetil
12-14-2004, 02:33 PM
EDIT: This discussion took a U-turn in Reply #9...please read to find good news on ODC updates ;D

Hello, Andrei!

Right now, I feel that *any* new or improved feature would be nice...I get a creepy feeling that the whole software development is stalling and Orange is dying.

Please prove me wrong!!

Best regards, and happy holidays to you all,
Kjetil - OrangeAddict

evil_louie
12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Agreed. Understandably these things take time, but it's been quite a while since we've heard about anything new. :'(

Indeed, please prove us wrong!

Charles_Litton
12-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Indeed the only reason I haven't voiced my concern about OCD dying is that potential purchasers will look at this forum, see our complaints, and then the prophecy becomes self-fulfilling.

At the same time, looking at the pages of competing programs, I see many updates and releases since March 23. Not so on OCD.

I can't say this comes totally as a surprise: Before deciding to make the significant time investment to put all my data into OCD, I did think about the risk that the software could fade away. But the superior features outweighed my concern.

Could it be that the licensing/marketing approach is flawed--pay once and never pay again? Maybe there would be more motivation to release updates if users had to pay for them.

kjetil
12-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Even if that marketing strategy is flawed, I'll be happy to pay for updates. Call them something else or whatever.

Also I will never convert to another software anyway. In the worst case scenario I'll still have a fully functional cataloguing program that takes care of most of my needs. It's just sad if it stops now while still being the #1...

Great job so far, Andrei! ;)

-kjetil

FuNkY_CaPrIcOrN
12-17-2004, 09:13 AM
I was just about to Post and ask when the next update will be.Its been 4 Months since the last.And that was really not much.All that did was add a French translation. ::)

It has been Months since any word of 5.3 and probably will be Months before any other Beta.

RSF
12-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi guys,

Are you all kind of foreseeing, anticipating, that there will not be any more versions of Orange ???
I was patiently waiting for a brand new, totally reworked, with lots of new features, and at the same time steady and bugs free 5.3 version, therefore delayed, maybe wrapped as a Christmas present! :) And now you all seem to predict a full stop end of program :o :o :o
Can Andrei, PLEASE!, tell us something about it... :(

12-18-2004, 04:30 AM
If OCD were different and better I would buy it, I love the way the program creates a nice output on the Web, but as a matter of fact it is the only thing I currently like and it is not my priority right now... ::)
Admittedly, I would never use it to manage my collection as it is in the current version and would use it only to manage data that I store and update with another program which is regularly updated and supported since the beginning instead. >:(
Sure I wish Andrei and OCD all the best, but I cannot say I'm satisfied with it and and it is absolutely far to be my #1... :-[
Paying for updates is a good solution, no one is happy to work for free and i guess existing users would be happy to pay instead to preserve their starting investment and work... 8)
Andrei and users: Merry Christmas and happy new year, possibly with some good news :)
Will Sea :-*

12-18-2004, 08:20 AM
What application do you use that you think is better than OCD? I haven't seen one yet ... but from this email track, I may be forced to look for one! :'( :'( :'(

granit
12-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Indeed some of the concerns displayed in the above email track are definitely sincere. But let's not be too pessimistic. OCD is by far the most innovative and user friendly software in the market today. Now could Andrei and his one man technical directorate improve the way feature are added, and version are released? Certainly. But will stuffing OCD, with features for the sake of keeping it technologically up to date and/or keeping with the competition at all cost, make it better? This is something to think about.
Andrei, and all of us for that matter, must come up with an innovative way of boosting revenue to keep up with the competition... But talking about OCD being in the ICU is a bit premature. What makes this endeavour great is that we all have a voice in it. This is a family affair... We must support it fully and not let corporate America snatch it from us.

andrei_c
12-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi guys,

I just would like to thank you for your concerns and post several teaser screenshots from the working build. The screenshots show rather rough and unrefined user interface, but I hope they will prove that OrangeCD is alive and changing and maybe shed light on some of the new features, like preview pane, complete credits, flexible custom fields, support for other media formats... Anyway, here they are:

http://www.firetongue.com/teaser/preview_1.png

http://www.firetongue.com/teaser/preview_2.png

http://www.firetongue.com/teaser/preview_3.png

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your families,

Andrei

RSF
12-20-2004, 06:33 AM
YES!!! ;D ;D ;D

Told you! Just seems I was wrong about that "before Christmas" thing!

Never mind! We'll have a '2005.3' version!

Thank you Andrei and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family too! ;D ;D ;D

rcarljohnson
12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks Andrei!

Can't wait for the next release of THE BEST cataloging program!

Keep up the great work!!!

Bob

evil_louie
12-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the good news, Andrei - it certainly made my day!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well!

Stephen_Fairhurst
12-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Echoing others

Thanks Andrei

Have a Happy Holiday

12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Andrei,
Thanks a bunch! May you and your family have a safe and Happy Holiday season!!! OCD is still the greatest ...!

granit
12-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Andrei, you are the man ;D ;D ;D. To tell you the truth, the new stuff is mighty impressive :D. May God save the competition... 8)
A happy holidays to you and your family and to all those members of the OCD family.
Peace

pheisholt
12-22-2004, 02:58 AM
Hi Andrei
It really looks great. But could you also reveal what you're planning at the track level, or simply let us have a glimpse of the content of the new Tracks tab.
As far as pricing goes, I agree that you should start charging for updates.

I wish you and the rest of the OCD community a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!

ps
Let us know if you need help with alpha or early beta testing of the next release...
Keep up the good work!

kjetil
12-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Yes, Andrei, we'll test!! Do you have a appr. date for beta releases?

Happy Christmas to you all and happy birthday to myself 8)

12-26-2004, 06:05 AM
Nice and very interesting to know about the future version, thanks Andrei :)

Happy New Year everybody ;)

01-27-2005, 07:29 PM
it will be 6 weeks on monday since this promise...any idea of an eta?

Thanks

-V15-

FuNkY_CaPrIcOrN
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
ha ha

I see nothing has changed around here.My last Post was 45 Days ago.And no word on any new Version of OrangeCD since then.

Glad I got out of this Game a long time ago.Have fun guys waiting.Maybe I will stop back in when Spring arrives.

Around March 20th.And I am sure nothing will be updated.See ya then. ::)

evil_louie
02-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Jeez, Louise...

Patience, Grasshopper!!! :o

02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
BUT WHEN ? ???

rcarljohnson
02-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Andrei is a busy man and pretty much THE lone programmer on this fine piece of software. Good things take tame. Patience, patience. Andrei will not let us down. The previews look wonderful, we only need to wait.

Bob

Ice_Devil
02-10-2005, 09:02 AM
:o Yes! :D The features I've most wanted! "CD Subtitles" and "Musicians"! I'd pay for this update as well.

Charles_Litton
02-10-2005, 12:08 PM
"The previews look wonderful, we only need to wait."

We have stumbled upon what could be a motto with general applicability--to politics, careers, religion, and (of course) life itself.

At any rate, I can't wait to see at least a new beta version.

02-26-2005, 01:44 PM
nearly march and still nothing?????? >:(

Charles_Litton
02-26-2005, 03:25 PM
"Patience is its own reward"

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

vovo
03-04-2005, 09:23 AM
New version before the 3/23 or not ;)
Bets are taken....

Martijn
03-09-2005, 06:00 AM
ha ha

Glad I got out of this Game a long time ago.

Have you switched to another database application, Funky? If so, which one? I'm honestly very happy with OrangeCD, but I *am* getting worried about the fact that development (hence supportability) seems to be at a stand still, so yeah, I *am* looking at alternatives.