PDA

View Full Version : Accessing database from multiple PCs

scobb
08-25-2003, 09:55 PM
First of all, thanks for developing what I think is the best CD cataloging app on the market :).

I have a small home network, consisting of 1 x Win2k3 Server and 4 x WinXP workstations. I've got Orange CD Suite (eval) installed on 3 of the XP machines, with the database sitting on the server, accessible via a UNC path on a network share.

My problem is this: I want to be able to access the database from any of the XP workstations. When I try this by simply opening the database file on the network, I get an error (unable to open file). The file is not open on any of the other machines at the same time, so I don't think it is a file locking issue. I can sort of get around this problem by importing the file and saving a local copy, but ideally, I want to be able to access and update the same database from multiple PCs - not simultaneously, just one PC at a time. Is this possible?

Of course, I guess the other thing I can do is export the database to HTML and use a web browser to browse to the database, but then I have no facility for playing the music :(. Is there any plan to enable either editing or playing of music via the HTML interface?

Thanks,

Simon

andrei_c
08-29-2003, 03:51 AM
Hi Simon,

Simultaneous access from different machines or server mode will probably be implemented in future (no details yet). However, there are no plans to enable music playback from remote HTML.

Andrei