PDA

View Full Version : Password Protection?

02-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Hi there,

I work at a university radio station as the music director. We've begun using Orange CD for our library and I ran into a concern today. Is it possible to create a 'read only' but searchable and updateable version of our database? What I'd like to be able to do, is allow the programmers access to scan through the database for songs and albums, but not have them be able to change anything. I'd be the only one with the 'password' or access to change things. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
???

02-23-2005, 09:38 AM
hmm, interesting one...one way you could do this is to have multiple logins on the pc, and use file permissions (or software such as FolderGuard) to allow the "admin" to write to the database folder, but not to allow the "user" to write...that way, they can change the database, but cant actually save it, once it is changed. I would imagine that would be the best way around, and i would assume the users use a limited account, so wouldnt be too complicated to set up :)

02-24-2005, 03:16 AM
Fantastic! I'll get my IT guru to set that up! Thank you!

02-28-2005, 03:45 PM
no problem, glad i could help...im actually looking at something similar myself to stop drunk people deleting my mp3s at parties lol :)