Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OrangeCD has stopped working...help!

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    There's no guarantee that OrangeCD will work after removing Norton 360. But it's worth a try.
    I suggest that you go offline when unprotected.

I also suggest if you havent't done it already to clean the registry. I use CCleaner. It does a good job for me.

[url]http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner[/url]

Good luck.

Joe
    Thanks for all your suggestions Joe. I know you're correct in that there are no guarantees, but it is frustrating that the program worked fine for almost a year and then just stopped working. Very strange. At some point today, I'm going to give the uninstall/install route a try. I'll keep you posted as to the results.

I had the same problem last year and despite Andrei's assistence, I was unable to recover the program and database in it's original state. Each time I opened OrangeCD or clicked on the database file, I got the same error message as the OP. I uninstalled and installed the program several times but each time I got the error.

If I recall correctly, I opened the OrangeCDPlayer then used Organize Collection to create a new database. This allowed OrangeCD to open, but it would crash if I then tried to open my old database. So in the end, I deleted by old database (and backup file) and used the OrangeCDPlayer option to create a brand new database and I'm now in the process of doing my collection over again. Unfortunately when it crashed originally I was only had less than 100 titles to enter out of 4066.

Steven

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by sbeck201 View Post
    I had the same problem last year and despite Andrei's assistence, I was unable to recover the program and database in it's original state. Each time I opened OrangeCD or clicked on the database file, I got the same error message as the OP. I uninstalled and installed the program several times but each time I got the error.

If I recall correctly, I opened the OrangeCDPlayer then used Organize Collection to create a new database. This allowed OrangeCD to open, but it would crash if I then tried to open my old database. So in the end, I deleted by old database (and backup file) and used the OrangeCDPlayer option to create a brand new database and I'm now in the process of doing my collection over again. Unfortunately when it crashed originally I was only had less than 100 titles to enter out of 4066.

Steven
    Hey, this is worrying. If this can happen what I suggest is that every now and then one renames and keeps various backups. Say every month the backup is renamed Maybackup.obk etc. Thus if the database/last backup is corrupted one can always go to a previous backup. I can't imagine creating a new database after all the time it took me.

Maybe Andrei can clarify on this; also an automatic backup rename after two or three backups would be welcomed.
    Last edited by Joebugs; 05-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.

But auto backup is already available, under 'Preferences', on the 'Backup' tab.

Paddy

My only difficulty with the automatic backup is that it is based on sessions, that is the number of times OCD is opened & closed. As OCD is left open on my computer and the computer is seldom turned off, I have had to set the count at 1. It would be better if the automatic backup trigger were in days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    But auto backup is already available, under 'Preferences', on the 'Backup' tab.

Paddy

Hey, this is worrying. If this can happen what I suggest is that every now and then one renames and keeps various backups. Say every month the backup is renamed Maybackup.obk etc. Thus if the database/last backup is corrupted one can always go to a previous backup. I can't imagine creating a new database after all the time it took me.

Maybe Andrei can clarify on this; also an automatic backup rename after two or three backups would be welcomed.
    I havent tried removing my Norton program yet and then reinstalling OrangCD. I will later this week, but if there's a danger of this happening again, then whats the point? I do have my database backup on a seperate drive, but if I can never open the program, it doesnt really do me any good. This seems ridiculous to me. Do we have no recourse? I only have 850 CD's entered, which sounds like nothing compared to others on here. There must be a solution. Andrei?

You can also create new backup file every time, using current date. This is a safer option if there is a suspected database or hard drive issue.

To create new backup file every day, insert %x in file name in View -> Preferences -> Backup (assuming you have enabled auto-backup already).

Your entire backup file name line will look something like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-%x.obk

When backup is being made, this will result in file names like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-06-02-12.obk

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    You can also create new backup file every time, using current date. This is a safer option if there is a suspected database or hard drive issue.

To create new backup file every day, insert %x in file name in View -> Preferences -> Backup (assuming you have enabled auto-backup already).

Your entire backup file name line will look something like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-%x.obk

When backup is being made, this will result in file names like this:

C:\Backups\music-backup-06-02-12.obk
    Thanks Andrei,

This is a great option. Having different backup files to go back to if somehow the database gets corrupted is very important.

So let me get this straight...even though I made sure to make a backup of my database, I'm still screwed and will never get my database back? What if I buy a new computer and load OrangeCD on it and load my backup onto it? Should it work then??

No.. you will have no problem. After installing OCD you would choose restore from backup under the database menu.

Fred