Thread: Backing up to CD-RW

Default Backing up to CD-RW

I clicked 'burn to disc' and backed up 'MY CD Collection' to a CD-RW, however the result is shown as a file with the extension 'obk.' None of my programs on Windows Vista will open the file - any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by swingfever View Post
    I clicked 'burn to disc' and backed up 'MY CD Collection' to a CD-RW, however the result is shown as a file with the extension 'obk.' None of my programs on Windows Vista will open the file - any suggestions?
    Well, there is one program that will read the obk file - OCD. You need to use the export function rather than backup for other programs. The obk is a backup that is easily read by OCD, but is not designed for export to other programs (I think that is rather common practice for backup functions in many programs). If you use the Export to plain text csv option in the export procedure you will create a file that can be read by any text reader program and imported into any program that reads csv files.

Database -> Import and Export -> Export to plain text (Export entire collection) and then follow the instructions.

This is a much more flexible procedure than backup as you can determine what fields to export and how to order the records. I don't think that Export will write directly to a CD-RW, but it's easy enough to save the export file and then write it to the disc.

Default Backing up to CD-RW

Thank you, Jazz North, for your comprehensive reply.
    I can't help wondering how many others have met this after responding to an unexceptional invitation to 'burn to disc'.