Thread: how do you do a new query

Default how do you do a new query

i want to add a new query in my database,i want to find an individual track and also see what album it's on.
    can someone help with the instructions
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaj174 View Post
    i want to add a new query in my database,i want to find an individual track and also see what album it's on.
    can someone help with the instructions
    thanks
    Here's how to do it as a one-time thing:

Query -> Advanced search
    At the bottom of the form:
    For field select Track Title
    For condition choose which of the options is most appropriate
    For value type in what you are searching for (case doesn't matter)
    Click add to list
    Click search
    Click close
    In the resulting display, you will need to select which fields you want displayed. To do so right click on the name of a column and click on Insert. You can add and delete displayed fields here.

If you are setting the condition to something other than the default [is (exactly)], you might want to choose the Tracks tab at the top of the form (Albums is the default). Do this before you do anything else. This way you can choose only the exact titles you want. I usually use Contains rather than the default as the condition because I am not always sure how a track is entered (Monk's 'Round Midnight, for example, has been recorded with many versions of the title).

You can save this Query for later by following teh steps above until you get to entering the value. Instead click the Prompt for value box under Value - do not fill in a value - and then save it by clicking on the disk icon at the bottom right. To use the Query again, just click on Query and select the name you gave the query. OCD only displays 10 stored queries and does so in alphabetical order (I believe), so you need to think about the name. You can delete stored queries you do not use by going to Query -> Manage queries.
    You can rename stored queries here, too.

It would be better if OCD showed more than 10 stored queries, but for the ten it does show this works well, especially now that the prompt for value has been added.