Thread: Anyone out there try Music Collector at Collectorz.com?

Default Anyone out there try Music Collector at Collectorz.com?

Anyone out there try Music Collector at Collectorz.com? Looks to be a supported and up-to-date option.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstasz1 View Post
    Anyone out there try Music Collector at Collectorz.com? Looks to be a supported and up-to-date option.
    I took a look, but it appears to have a pretty steep learning curve. At first glance, it doesn't look as user friendly or as adaptable as OCD. Since I have OCD set up the way I want it and it runs with no problems, I see no reason to change. As I have said before, I don't really understand the fetish for always upgrading. I still use DOS programs for some of my work; nothing better has come along - nor do I see any need for something "better". I suspect the only thing that will date OCD is that some of the sources will no longer be available, but other than freedb I don't get much use from them anyway.

It is one of the ones I keep in my "back pocket". I try to keep up on alternatives to any software I used, but particularly highly specialized shareware. One can never be sure when the author will cease supporting it (indeed, this appears to be the case for OrangeCD as of now). As long as it keeps running, great. Soon I will be buying new iron and I will be forced to upgrade my OS, since the one I used now (Windows 7) has sunset. I believe OrangeCD works on Windows 10... but someday a new operating system will appear that it cannot run inside, and then those "back pocket applications" will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    I took a look, but it appears to have a pretty steep learning curve. At first glance, it doesn't look as user friendly or as adaptable as OCD. Since I have OCD set up the way I want it and it runs with no problems, I see no reason to change. As I have said before, I don't really understand the fetish for always upgrading. I still use DOS programs for some of my work; nothing better has come along - nor do I see any need for something "better". I suspect the only thing that will date OCD is that some of the sources will no longer be available, but other than freedb I don't get much use from them anyway.
    freedb.org and its services will be shut down on March 31st of 2020.

I tried it a year ago. It generally works very well. Their support was outstanding... they offered to build import functionality for OrangeCD, so I sent them an XML export of my database and they quickly added support to their web site. It imported most of the fields that I cared about, but not the path to the media files - to me this was a show-stopper (I like to launch a player from within the app, and was nit willing to manually update a few thousand entries). They told me that they couldn't import the path because "the import runs on the web and can't access local files" but the path is simply a string in the XML file. I didn't push back, but I imagine they might be able to be convinced to handle it. IIRC it also had some trouble with what OrangeCD calls box sets; it would import each part separately. I let my subscription lapse, but consider it to be a plan B if OrangeCD ever stops working (but I'm very happy to see that Andrei is back!).