Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost everything

Angry Lost everything

I seem to have lost my 2 databases.Sure i had back ups -where would they be stored? i'm in a panic now!!!! Brian

They should be easy to find with a search. The backup files have the extension obk. When I save a backup it has a date and the new one does not overwrite the existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Basilmusic View Post
    I seem to have lost my 2 databases.Sure i had back ups -where would they be stored? i'm in a panic now!!!! Brian

i have tried that,but nothing comes up. I always kept at least 3 backups on main HD. i did re-format an external drive recently but this shouldn't have affected my main drive.Surely these 2 large bases must be somewhere on my PC.

I don't think they are hidden files; search finds them on my system with no special settings. Have you searched the wastebasket? If you create a new database where does OCD want to save the backups?

Default Still no d.b

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    I don't think they are hidden files; search finds them on my system with no special settings. Have you searched the wastebasket? If you create a new database where does OCD want to save the backups?
    Thanks for coming back.Tried recycle bin -negative.Tried .obk files in search -negative. i have/had all orange stuff on main HD -C. Taught me a lesson to keep backups on another drive in future, if there is a future.
    i have sent in 3 requests to administrator for help over past 6 days -also negative.I would have expected some help by now from firetongue or Andrei -if he still has any interest in his product.Does orange keep a sort of floating db. which can be recovered? i am at a loss for these large db complete with covers can't just disappear surely. Brian

I don't know much of anything about computers, so when I install a program I just let it install where it wants to. On my system (Windows 7) my backups are located in the Music option in the start menu. Have you tried looking there?

I did search for .odb and backup files -nothing in whole PC. Incidentally I am told that it is best to make backups on to another drive, or disk, or flash drive, for this very reason .I seem to have wiped out both db and the backups, but don't ask me how. Still no help at all from administrator -not good enough. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Basilmusic View Post
    I did search for .odb and backup files -nothing in whole PC. Incidentally I am told that it is best to make backups on to another drive, or disk, or flash drive, for this very reason .I seem to have wiped out both db and the backups, but don't ask me how. Still no help at all from administrator -not good enough. Brian
    Hi Brian,

Apologies for slow replies. Unfortunately what was said before in this thread before is correct -- if the backups are deleted, there very little you can do.

Try launching ocd catalog, open any database (or create new) and use backup function. See which folder it defaults to. This may provide a hint where your backups were.

You may try using "Undelete" kind of apps which sometimes are able to look into your hard drive and restore files that were deleted. But these apps only work sporadically and require that hard drive was not close to full utilization. I can't even wholeheartedly suggest using Undelete apps because they cost money and their track record is poor. It would probably be just wasted money. But if you find a very experienced PC user who can physically access your computer and help it may be worth a shot.

Do you have R&T account that you synced with local database? I can look into it and see what information can be extracted or converted (but again, chances are low and R&t doesn't store all the fields.)

i never went into R & T. Just completely gutted that I have lost records of 7,500 CDs - 7 years work just gone. I have learned a lesson the hard way. Brian

Also, do not trust Windows search as it's notoriously inaccurate. Try this instead:

Start Command Prompt on your Windows machine where you had backup.

Type commands:

c:
    cd \
    dir /s *.obk
    dir /s *.dab

This will take a long, long time but if there's a backup or a remaining database anywhere it will find it.

(if you have more than c: drive, repeat same for each drive: d:, e: etc.)