Thread: exporting in HTML

Default exporting in HTML

I am trying to use the Simple List template on the site to get a list of my CDs in Alphabetical order re COMPOSER.
    I am given Group field -I use composer; Sorting Field 1 -Title, Sorting Field 2 -Artist; sorting field 3 -Label
    2.. i don't get any sorting field 3 in my results -label is ignored
    3. Is it possible to have an extra field -if so, how?

Is it your concern that it is not printing the label or that it is not sorting by the label? When I experimented with the Simple List I found that it did sort by all three fields, but it always printed the same fields and in the same order. That's because the fields chosen for sorting are not the ones printed (an exception is the field chosen for grouping; the one selected is the one printed). The other fields to be printed are hard coded in Simple List.dax and they are Composer-Artist-Title-Year. They can be changed, but only by editing the dax file, which can be done in any text editor but is most easily done by using the Orange CD Template Editor. In editing you could even have more or fewer fields printed. I found the output of Simple List pretty ugly, frankly, and would also want to edit some of the formatting. But I would more likely export to a text (csv) file, import that into Excel or Access and do my formatting there.

For what it is worth, I found that using the fields you want, the third sorting field never made a difference in the order as it would require the first and second sorting fields to be identical and I never had a case where the same artist (field 2) had two recordings with the same title (field 1) with the same composer (grouping) but on different labels.

UPDATE: With nothing else to do when insomnia strikes, I rewrote Simple List.dax to print just the 3 fields chosen for sorting. And it turns out to be easy to add a 4th (and 5th and 6th...) sorting field and have it print them, too. Simple Table can be modified in a similar fashion, though it is a bit more complicated, as column headings have to be created as well as cell entries.
    Last edited by Jazz_North; 02-15-2017 at 11:08 AM.

basilmusic I have left a private message about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    basilmusic I have left a private message about this.
    Thanks for your help. I take it the "private message" was one that started "Jazz_North

Is it your concern that it is not printing the label or that it is not sorting by the label? When I experimented with the Simple List I found that it did sort by all three fields, but it always printed the same fields and in the same order. That's because the fields chosen for sorting are not the ones printed (an exception is the field chosen for grouping; the one selected is the one printed).

i think i got a csv. file of my catalogue ( had lots of ") but don't know how to transfer this into Excel. i am not clever in this department.
    Basically I am looking to have a printed list with the 4 fields I quoted,so that I can see what I have when I am away from my computer. i actually spent a day trying to use something called "OUTWIT" for this purpose but it was completely beyond me. I was outwitted.
    Sent a message to Andrei about this but no reply came forth.
    Last edited by Basilmusic; 02-15-2017 at 05:07 PM.