Thread: Collaboration and Artist Sort Name

Default Collaboration and Artist Sort Name

Andrei

Do you have any idea why OCD is not consistent in how it handles Artist Sort Names in collaborations? Here are a few examples of the problem:

Art Pepper & George Cables;Tête-À-Tête
    Art Pepper & Warne Marsh;Art N Warne
    Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims;Art 'N' Zoot

Baker, Chet & Lee Konitz;In Concert
    Baker, Chet & Russ Freeman;Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman
    Chet Baker & Art Pepper;Playboys

Why is Art Pepper not Pepper, Art in the first two examples when it is properly Pepper, Art in the 3rd? If OCD has Baker, Chet in the 4th & 5th examples, why does it show Chet Baker in the 6th?

It is consistently inconsistent (Art Pepper & George Cables is always that way and Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims is always that way).

Stan Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    Andrei

Do you have any idea why OCD is not consistent in how it handles Artist Sort Names in collaborations? Here are a few examples of the problem:

Art Pepper & George Cables;Tête-À-Tête
    Art Pepper & Warne Marsh;Art N Warne
    Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims;Art 'N' Zoot

Baker, Chet & Lee Konitz;In Concert
    Baker, Chet & Russ Freeman;Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman
    Chet Baker & Art Pepper;Playboys

Why is Art Pepper not Pepper, Art in the first two examples when it is properly Pepper, Art in the 3rd? If OCD has Baker, Chet in the 4th & 5th examples, why does it show Chet Baker in the 6th?

It is consistently inconsistent (Art Pepper & George Cables is always that way and Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims is always that way).

Stan Jones
    Hi Stan,

Please go to menu Library > Manage Artists and delete any entries resembling "Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims" or "Baker, Chet & Lee Konitz". These should be collaborations, not real artists.

If this doesn't help, I'd have to ask for more data. This bug is path-dependent; i.e. it has something to do with your artist/album editing history.

Andrei

Andrei

I did that and what I achieved is just the opposite of what I wanted. Now ALL the artist sort names in collaborations are sorted by first name not last name. Not only do I still have Art Pepper & George Cables, but now it is Art Pepper & Zoot Sims instead of the correct Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Now try editing collaborations again. Make sure you got artist spelling exactly as you like in Collaboration dialog box.

Andrei

No luck, Andrei. I still get Art Pepper & Zoot Sims as the Artist Sort Name instead of Pepper, Art & Zoot Sims. And the same is now true for every collaboration in my database; not a single one has the correct Artist Sort Name.

Andrei

As a test I created a new album with a collaboration between two artists who are in the database with proper sort names (Alexander, Monty and Albany, Joe) but were not in any collaborations until I created this one. The sort name that appears for the collaboration is Monty Alexander & Joe Albany when it should be Alexander, Monty & Joe Albany. I don't think any previous editing has caused this.

Stan
    Last edited by Jazz_North; 03-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.