Thread: Transferring the database...

Default Transferring the database...

OK, so I've built up this fine database of music, and fortunately for me, I've backed everything up just in case. Well, my old computer's hard drive recently just died. Just like that...KAPUT! I guess it was on it's last legs anyway. Fortunately, my computer guy was able to transfer all the contents (except for programs) of my old computer into a new one that I had bought just in case the old one died. As you can see, I've prepared. So, now I'm on the new computer, and have the new version of Orange CD installed, and my databases are still there, and I had my registration key. I did have to customize my columns again, though. I was wondering, though, if there is anything else I should know or keep in mind when starting up Orange CD on a second computer, or when upgrading to a newer version? Any tips or advice I should be aware of? Have any of you ever had any issues/problems when transferring your databases?

I believe the tweaks you made to OCD - such as the column customisation - would have been stored in the default dax file.

Either your techie didn't transfer the defaultv6.dax file (it's usually at \Program Files\OrangeCD\Templates) or he/she did and then when you reinstalled OCD the installation program overwrote your dax file with the default defaultv6.dax. This is one of the problems to watch for when upgrading OCD (but as it has been almost a year since there has been an upgrade, this might now be a moot issue). One way to protect against it is to make a copy of devaultv6.dax in the Templates folder and rename the copy. Then select this renamed file as your theme (View -> Preferences -> Theme -> Theme pulldown menu). Any tweaks you make will then be stored in your renamed dax. If there is an upgrade then installing the new version will certainly overwrite the old defaultv6.dax, but you no longer care that it does as you will have your renamed file. But you will have to reselect your dax theme under View -> Preferences as the installation sets the Theme to the default.
    Last edited by Jazz_North; 10-27-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    I believe the tweaks you made to OCD - such as the column customisation - would have been stored in the default dax file.

Either your techie didn't transfer the defaultv6.dax file (it's usually at \Program Files\OrangeCD\Templates) or he/she did and then when you reinstalled OCD the installation program overwrote your dax file with the default defaultv6.dax. This is one of the problems to watch for when upgrading OCD (but as it has been almost a year since there has been an upgrade, this might now be a moot issue). One way to protect against it is to make a copy of devaultv6.dax in the Templates folder and rename the copy. Then select this renamed file as your theme (View -> Preferences -> Theme -> Theme pulldown menu). Any tweaks you make will then be stored in your renamed dax. If there is an upgrade then installing the new version will certainly overwrite the old defaultv6.dax, but you no longer care that it does as you will have your renamed file. But you will have to reselect your dax theme under View -> Preferences as the installation sets the Theme to the default.
    Just so you know, it worked, and I'm off and running again. Thanks!