Thread: Trouble with connection to Amazon & FreeDB

Default Trouble with connection to Amazon & FreeDB

Hello dear everybody, need your help.
    Manual search in Amazon doesn't seem to work. Any search returns "Cannot find file" and session log contain just one string - "Connecting to ecs.amazonaws.com".
    The same trouble with manual FreeDB search. "Connecting to freedb.mygenres.com" and that's all.
    "Scan CD-ROM" option though works okay and returns the correct data after scanning. Although it never find pictures for the CDs.

Would be very grateful for your advice.
    Thanks

Please make sure you run latest version of OrangeCD (6.5.0). Amazon frequently changes its API schema which makes old versions of OrangeCD unable to use its services. But the most recent version works fine with Amazon services - I just verified it.

If you're using the latest version and still have this problem, there's two more things to check:

1) Make sure your system time AND time zone are correct. Amazon services are sensitive to client's system time.

2) Make sure your firewall doesn't get in the way. When in doubt, try disabling firewall momentarily and see if it fixes the problem.

Andrei

Thank you for answering, Andrei.
    I use 6.5.0. version.
    1) They seem to be alright. I don't think it's the case, because manual search in FreeDB returns exactly the same error.
    (to be precise: Task: Amazon search; Status: Не удается найти указанный файл (Cannot find file).
    2) I've disabled firewall as you've said. Doesn't help

Maybe I should reinstall the program from the scratch? But how not to lost my registration and my database?
    Mikhail.

Mikhail,

This sounds like general connectivity issue in your system. OrangeCD attempts to connect to remote server but the system doesn't allow it. Usually it's the firewall, but unfortunately I can't come up with other explanation.

Do you see connection problems with any other software, or just OrangeCD?

Reinstalling OrangeCD may help. You will not lose your registration and database by reinstalling.

Andrei

No, I don't see connection problems with any other programs. Publishing on Racks&Tags also doesn't work

Finally I've decided to reinstall OrangeCD. How can I do it? I've made the backup, so what should I do now? Simply uninstall it via Windows Control Panel?
    And then, after reinstalling, - can I just use my old registration number?
    Thank you in advance.

6.5.0 is the latest version but not new! It's almost a year old!! But still the best!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    Please make sure you run latest version of OrangeCD (6.5.0). Amazon frequently changes its API schema which makes old versions of OrangeCD unable to use its services. But the most recent version works fine with Amazon services - I just verified it.

Andrei
    Last edited by Joebugs; 11-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    6.5.0 is the latest version but not new! It's almost a year old!! But still the best!!!!
    Oh I see! But can you tip me about the reinstalling?

Uninstall normally from the Control Panel and reinstall.

The registration number should work unless it is very old (if I remember well sometime ago they were updated by Andrei). You should liaise with Andrei about this.

Use the DATABASE menu RESTORE FROM BACKUP to restore.

Should work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_slider04 View Post
    No, I don't see connection problems with any other programs. Publishing on Racks&Tags also doesn't work

Finally I've decided to reinstall OrangeCD. How can I do it? I've made the backup, so what should I do now? Simply uninstall it via Windows Control Panel?
    And then, after reinstalling, - can I just use my old registration number?
    Thank you in advance.