Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12,000 and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by pmckeealaska View Post
    I'd be curious to know if anyone else inputs as much information as I do when I enter a new album. I like details so I put all of the recording info (producers, engineers, mixing, etc.) along with all of the musicians involved and recording studio stuff as well. I would assume that those that buy a catalog software program would put at least some of this information in anyway, I'm just curious how many are as type A as I am!
    Hi,

I too like to input as much information as possible: producers; engineers, mixing; mastering; artwork; design; musicians, label, purchased from; purchase amount; genres, number; barcode; composers, original year of release, etc. You can also listen to the CD when you're entering the data.

I have 1711 albums (2345 discs) in my collection.
    Last edited by Joebugs; 04-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Smile Here's What I Do...

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    Hi,

I too like to input as much information as possible: producers; engineers, mixing; mastering; artwork; design; musicians, label, purchased from; purchase amount; genres, number; barcode; composers, original year of release, etc. You can also listen to the CD when you're entering the data.

I have 1711 albums (2345 discs) in my collection.
    I also like to add a lot of information, but mostly I stick to artist, title (I'll note if album is a reissue, and checkmark if it's a promo), label, and year of release (if it's a reissue, then reissue year). For the most part, I stick to the actual year listed on the album or label, as to me, that is a lot more accurate than some of the listings I've seen. On 12" singles, I like to add the length of times for each track on the tracks tab (most of these are extended versions, and it helps to have that info handy). I sometimes get frustrated at having a particular release of an album, and I want to add the ACTUAL artwork, and every listing I find seems to have an alternate cover than the one I have! Import albums can be frustrating this way, as many of them were released with different cover art than their U.S. counterparts, or vice versa. Suffice to say, some of my album entries will not have any artwork attached, unless I take a picture of them myself! If there is any significant information about that particular album, I will add a few comments in the notes, and of course, a reference number and a location. Sometimes I'll add writer credits and producer credits, if they warrant some significance to me. AND the one thing that makes the catalogue entry process easy is that as I process the entries, I have the albums right next to me, and I often do some listening while I work, and it's a good time to preview items I haven't listened to yet. You can discover a lot that way, or sometimes you just want to hear an old favorite. Either way, sometimes you find yourself listening to the music, and you realize you got through a stack of albums fairly quickly. Much quicker than without the music, at least in my experience. Having a collection is no fun if you don't get to enjoy it once in a while, I say!!! And so...on I go with the data entry...