Thread: Norton 2011- another release, another headache

Default Norton 2011- another release, another headache

I updated my Norton Internet Security to the 2011 version this morning and now I'm dealing with the things it thinks are security vulnerabilities. (By the way, "everything" was broken after the first reboot - it needed a second reboot to allow Outlook and my web browser, among other programs that require internet connectivity, to eventually connect.) In any event, OrangeCD now hangs when launched and ultimately shows a Windows "not responding" message. I tried the fix for the 2009/2010 versions and it didn't work. Since this update only came out a few days ago, I'm guessing nobody has seen this problem or has a fix. I guess I'm just putting the word out at this point and will try to solve the problem over the next few days. I'll post again if I find a solution. Maybe I need another reboot...

Sorry for the mistaken post. I used the fix for Norton Antivirus 2009 and it works. Apparently I had changed some other setting when I wrote my comments.

can you tell me how? The instructions for norton 2009 do not seem to apply to norton 2011. either that or i am just thickl!!

Default How to fix Norton 2011

I got it to work by doing the following in Norton 2011:

1) Click "Settings"

2) Under Computer Settings, AntiVirus and SONAR Exclusions: Click the middle "Configure[+]" link, for Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR Detection.

3) Click the Add button and add your .dab file.

I've seen other posts suggest adding only the path to the file here (i.e., C:\Users\Me\Music), but I think that leaves a big security hole, as Norton will no longer scan anything in your music folder. So I specify the actual OrangeCD database file, and it works (i.e., C:\Users\Me\Music\MyCDCatalog.dab).

I've just bought a new computer with Norton 360 and installed OrangeCD 6.4.8.16916 today (my previous computer got infected with a nasty virus). I restored the database from a backup and went through the procedures as Andrei suggested but I still got the 'Not Responding'. I saw this thread and have excluded the .dab file as suggested which appears to work.

As Andrei didn't have this in his workaround, can it be confirmed that PastaVino's solution is definitely the correct method?

Cheers,

Steven