Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorting

It is about folders and you confirmed what I thought was the case. Except, how do you sort folders by primary name (with primary name displayed, of course)? When I go to customize view for the folders panel, the only artist choices I have are Artist and Artist (no compilations). Both use Sort Name, not Primary Name. I have lots of choice, including a number of custom fields, but I can't see one that gives me primary name.

While I was playing around here, I just discovered an exception. If I select Entire Collection for Browse By, it displays the primary name, sorted by Sort name and then Album title. But the artists are not, of course, in folders, or rather all artists are in one folder, the one called Entire Collection. I don't know whether that will satisfy Poohbear's wish or not. For me, I would still like to be able to sort by Primary Name; with that the display from Browse by Entire Collection would then meet my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    Just a clarification - is the question about sorting of folders or individual albums?

This can be easily achieved for individual albums in both left and right panes. I can post instructions if needed.

But it's not possible for folders. You can sort folders by sort name and display sort names in labels; or sort by primary name and display primary names in labels. But you can't sort by sort name and display primary name. (I hope I'm making sense.)

Jazz_North, just had a look at the entire collection option.
    That's how I want it sorting, ie Bryan Adams comes between Adam & The Ants
    and Adamski
    but has you say I want to do this by artist folder, too much to ask for I suppose, unless anyone knows different!
    Seems I'm not the only one who would lke this
    Anyway will drop back into the forum from time to time, see if anything develops, maybe when we have this big relaunch of OrangeCD, it'll be implemented

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    Except, how do you sort folders by primary name (with primary name displayed, of course)?
    Go to Customize View -> Options tab and uncheck option "Use artist sort name in labels".

Sorry to continue to be a pest about this, but that doesn't work. Here's what I have when I do Customize view:

Current view:
    Artist (no compilations)
    Overview: not checked
    No tracks: checked

Options:
    Album label format (artist folder): %T{(%Y)}{:: %b}
    Album label format (other folder): {%a ::}%T{(%Y)}
    Use artist sort name in labels: unchecked
    Single click opens topic: checked
    Show tooltips: checked
    In place editing: checked
    Sort order: Title, artist

And the sort order of the folders is still artist last name, artist first name (as is the display name)

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    Go to Customize View -> Options tab and uncheck option "Use artist sort name in labels".

Do we need to be able to edit the primary name then?

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Do we need to be able to edit the primary name then?
    I don't think you can do this except when you edit the property for the album. Primary name is simply the name that appears in the Artist box on the general tab. You can't edit it in the artist profile and I haven't found any place other than the album properties where it can be done.

It could be implemented though, couldn't it?

It could be implemented though, couldn't it?
    That would lose the connection to the cd entry; might as well just change it in album properties. And then there is the entanglement of the Other spellings entries. There is a reason you can't edit the primary name by itself and that is because in OCD it is a kind of index.

Ah well, never mind
    Still a super piece of software though.
    Let's see what this promised revamp brings

Ah well, never mind
    Still a super piece of software though.
    Let's see what this promised revamp brings
    You can, of course, make the sort name be the primary name, but then it will sort by first name (and you will have to change every artist's properties.