Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorting

Default Sorting

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before!! but here goes
    I want to sort my database by last name first, but to show first name first, like so
    Sort by
    Jackson, Al
    Jackson, Janet
    Jackson, Joe
    Jackson, Michael
    To show in left hand tree
    Al Jackson
    Janet Jackson
    Joe Jackson
    Michael Jackson
    When I try to do this Michael Jackson is sorted under M
    Hope this makes sense

Talking Hello .. :-)

You just have to go to the artist' profile, there you'll find both the primary and sort name... just adjust it and that's all!

hope this helps to you... best regards

Sorry to be a pain, sort it to what?
    by the left hand tree I mean the content tree/menu
    Last edited by Poohbear; 11-07-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Wink hello again

well, go first to the artist profile, you can find it on the upper left side: Home > Entire collection > "artist name" click on it!.. once you are in the profile go to "display" there you'll find the primary name and the sort name... if you put "Jackson, Michael" as the sort name, then it will appear just like that on the left tree, now if you put Michael Jackson as the primary name, then it will appear Michael Jackson on the left tree...

Hope this will be useful!

I want Jackson, Michael to be the sort name, but when it;s shows on the left tree I want it to show Michael Jackson ie
    Janet Jackson
    Michael Jackson
    Zebadee Jackson
    Sorry I can't make it more clear

ok.. then the sort name should be Michael Jackson and the primary name Jackson, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by RaulFranco View Post
    ok.. then the sort name should be Michael Jackson and the primary name Jackson, Michael
    No, that would give you the sort (using my own collection):

Louis Armstrong
    Louis Jordan
    Lynne Arriale

when what is wanted is

Louis Armstrong
    Lynne Arriale
    Louis Jordan

(with lots of names between Arriale and Jordan, of course).

I have looked for ways to get OCD to sort with Last name First Name but display First Name Last Name for a long time (my first OCD entry is now 7 years old) and not found a way to do it. As far as I can tell, OCD will display in the left tree what it sorts by.

And, in any case, I do not think you can directly edit Primary Name. That is determined by what appears in the Artist Field on the general tab of an album's property sheet.

Jazz_North is correct, that's how I want to sort it.
    So you reckon it can't be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Jazz_North is correct, that's how I want to sort it.
    So you reckon it can't be done?
    Someone may have figured it out, but until they weigh in with the solution I'd have to say it can't be done.

Just a clarification - is the question about sorting of folders or individual albums?

This can be easily achieved for individual albums in both left and right panes. I can post instructions if needed.

But it's not possible for folders. You can sort folders by sort name and display sort names in labels; or sort by primary name and display primary names in labels. But you can't sort by sort name and display primary name. (I hope I'm making sense.)