Thread: Genre

Default Genre

Is there a way to add more genres? I have just purchased Orange and was entering my first vinyl record and would like to have more genres to select from.

Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by j_castellano@comcast.net View Post
    Is there a way to add more genres? I have just purchased Orange and was entering my first vinyl record and would like to have more genres to select from.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Click menu View -> Preferences -> Database tab.

Select Genres in the list and click Customize.

Andrei

Default Additional options for genres

Andrei:

I am a new member and have just downloaded OrangeCD for evaluation prior to purchase. I am also having a problem with "genre". I would like to add additional options for selection as I import CDs.

Currently, when I go to the general tab for recently imported albums, I get a list of about eight or so genres when I select the drop down menu button. In hopes of adding additional items, I went to the view > preferences > database button, and then highlighted genre. Although I am presented with a multiple list of desired additional options, the "add" button remains greyed out and will not allow addition of the desired additional genres as options. Can you help me with this issue?

Thanks.

Aaron

Aaron,

Add button is grayed because you haven't entered new genres yet.

Type new genre in a box below the list, then hit Enter or Add button (which will become enabled at that point.)

Andrei

Andrei:

Thanks so much for the reply. I must apologize, since I didn't make myself clear. I assumed that the steps I described were the method by which I make more choices available for use when categorizing the genre for individual albums.

I have imported several albums which were not given a specific genre. As such, when sorting by genre, they are grouped under "none". When I click on anyone of these albums and open the "general" tab and select the drop down list of genres, I am only presented with about eight options, none of which include my desired category for these particular albums.

When I review the multiple options presented under view > preferences > database, many of the genres I WOULD like to select for the above albums appear to be listed, yet I cannot seem to make them available as options when trying to update the genre in these specific albums.

Does this better explain my issue? Thanks for your help.

Aaron

Aaron,

You're looking at Category field, right?

There's also separate Genre/Subgenre field in Library tab of album details. It offers far more selections.

Andrei

I'm sure Andrei knows that the category field can also be edited to include many more values. It is done just the same way as Andrei described for the genre field.

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    Aaron,

You're looking at Category field, right?

There's also separate Genre/Subgenre field in Library tab of album details. It offers far more selections.

Andrei

Andrei:

Thanks. I was able to go to the Library tab of album details where I found many additional categories and was able to select a desired category. When I did so, the album in question was now listed under the newly selected category, in lieu of "none" and I am better able to sort my albums by category.

It is interesting to note that despite having done this, when I reopen the album and open the general (not library) tab, the newly selected category does NOT display in the category box displayed on the general tab page; the category box still appears greyed out....Not sure if this is a bug, but thought I'd share this information with you.

Thanks again

Aaron