Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

As the title of this thread suggests, I am a little confused.

When Racks and Tags was introduced (or My Genres as it was then)... when were invited to sign up for a free account. This offer was only supposed to be for a limited time, and my understanding was that for a limited time we could sign up for free unlimited "Pro" account.

I've not really used Racks and tags that much, mainly due to difficulties in uploading to my account. However, recently I completely rebuilt my OrangeCD database (filling in missing information, correcting typos, adding images etc).

So now I come to re-uploading my database which is currently around 4,600 albums (ironically a considerably smaller than the original), and of course, I find that I can now only upload 1000 albums, as I only have a free account!

Now, maybe I missed something back when My Genres/Racks and Tags started, but right now I just feel a little let down.

Incidentally, I also have another account which has 3,700 albums in it (opened at the same time), which of course I cannot now add too!

So, what's going on?

Even weirder....

After writing the last post, I tried again....

4,163 uploaded this time! However, without cover art. OrangeCD showed a time-out message.

The number of albums uploaded does kind of imply that I do have a Pro account. But then, when I try to alter my privacy settings, I'm told that I need a Pro account to choose to hide personal notes, ratings etc etc.

So, I am even more confused now!!! Will try uploading again, see if I can can cover art.

Several attempts later, all I have managed to upload are several cover images before I get the time-out message. I read in another post about force syncing, so thought I'd give that ago... again timed-out. In that post someone mentioned that it doesn't take long (about a minute for 2,000 albums).... One attempt was about 25 minutes, the others have timed-out between five and ten minutes.

Clearly the uploading problems that I had when the service was introduced haven't been completely fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by davidagbr View Post
    Even weirder....

After writing the last post, I tried again....

4,163 uploaded this time! However, without cover art. OrangeCD showed a time-out message.

The number of albums uploaded does kind of imply that I do have a Pro account. But then, when I try to alter my privacy settings, I'm told that I need a Pro account to choose to hide personal notes, ratings etc etc.

So, I am even more confused now!!! Will try uploading again, see if I can can cover art.
    David,

If you are a Pro User a PRO icon should show near your name in Racks and Tags.

There is a fee to upgrade to a Pro User.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I am aware that there is an upgrade fee, I don't have a PRO icon, so I guess I don't have a Pro account.

However, my original point was that back when MyGenres/Racks and Tags was introduced, for a limited period we were offered free accounts. I don't ever remember us being told that functionality would be limited, and we would be forced to upgrade to a Pro account to get very basic functionality.

The implication at the time was definately that we we (as early users) would get full use of the service, but that was a limited time offer. It appears that I am getting some of the benefits of a Pro account, I can upload more than 1000 albums - albeit most without cover images (although I think that is a separate syncing issue).

I remain confused!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by davidagbr View Post
    Thanks Joe, I am aware that there is an upgrade fee, I don't have a PRO icon, so I guess I don't have a Pro account.

However, my original point was that back when MyGenres/Racks and Tags was introduced, for a limited period we were offered free accounts. I don't ever remember us being told that functionality would be limited, and we would be forced to upgrade to a Pro account to get very basic functionality.

The implication at the time was definately that we we (as early users) would get full use of the service, but that was a limited time offer. It appears that I am getting some of the benefits of a Pro account, I can upload more than 1000 albums - albeit most without cover images (although I think that is a separate syncing issue).

I remain confused!
    If I remember well (and I may be wrong) early users could upgrade for a one time fee; others users have a yearly fee. Maybe Andrei can clarify??

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    If I remember well (and I may be wrong) early users could upgrade for a one time fee; others users have a yearly fee. Maybe Andrei can clarify??
    That could well be the case... I've been trying to see if I received an email about it, but can't find anything!

Hopefully Andrei will be able to shed some light on things!

I remember this exactly as David does, and I signed up for an account when it was offered for early sign up for free pro account.

I have been using it ever since and I now have 4500+ albums and can upload and update with no problem.. However I do not have any Pro Icon that I can see.

It appears that this is something that Andrei maintained manually and maybe hasn't updated all the beta users consistantly...

Hopefully he will be reading this thread and fix David's account shortly.

Fred

Thanks Fred, I'm quite relieved that I didn't just imagine this!

One question though, are you able to personalise your privacy settings (for example hide your notes and ratings)? As those are Pro-only functions, and I really would like to be able to keep my collection public, but hide personal notes (in my case this include notes about where the record/CD/tape etc is located; "box 4, bedroom" and "singles, box 2").

David

Just went and checked... and NO.. I don't have access to those options... so seems like there are variations on the FREE LIFETIME Pro Account for us early adopters... ;O(

Andrei.. please weigh in on this discussion please.

Fred