Thread: titles of songs

Default titles of songs

Hi! Just downloaded Orange trial today and the first few cd's I added to was a pleasure! Played around and got the titles in alphabetical order and thought that this is the software for me!
    However later on I noticed that on some of them the titles of the cuts were not appearing. I tried filling in the 'form' but even them it was not a success. (Here I must tell you that I am in the 70's so it is quite possible that somewhere something went haywire - though I had carried on as I had started out).
    Is there someway I can correct this? It did not happen with each cd - only with some. None of these were 'home-made' compilations.
    Looking forward to hearing how (in nice easy steps) I can get this right. I really would like to purchase it, but only if it works 100% all the time.
    Looking forward to a reply.
    Regards
    Vee Barlow

Vee,

Important thing to know about FreeDB is that it is community filled, i.e. prone to error. It is possible you have downloaded some erroneous entries from FreeDB. These should be easy to correct by double-clicking the entry and checking the fields you care about.

Unfortunately 100% accuracy is not feasible. There are many inaccuracies and incomplete data in FreeDB and Amazon. But you should still get a reasonable success rate with CD recognition, or I would be very worried.

Andrei

Hi Andrei - Thanks for your answer. I haven't got as far as trying Amazon or FreeDB yet, but I am happy to say that I got it right to fill in some of the missing tracks manually. (I would say that 98% of the track copied OK) so I won't complain about that!
    However. now I have another query - I backed up the database to my external drive and it promptly saved it as an OBK file, which my PC won't open. (I believe this could be a Registery problem,so I scanned it with both Norton Utilities and File cure and both said it was working, but it isn't) I have now installed Open Office in a vain attempt that it will open this file, but that is also a vain attempt! (When you are my age you are not as literate as the younger people.) Should I have done the backup or should I just take a chance and leave well alone.
    Other than that I am sure that in due course I will be fully conversant with the whole programme - just need to spend more time playing with it - taking deep breathes inbetween - and starting all over again!
    Many thanks for your help - if there are more points you think I should know about, please let me know!
    Regards
    Vee

Default Back-ups

Hi Vee,

The way you would use the .obk file is to 'restore from backup' (menu command) from within the OCD programme.

Hope this helps! Malc.